SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debrak2008

Different visions for deck, what to do?

debrak2008
10 years ago

I've waited for a deck to be built on the back of our home for a long time. Sat out on it for the first time yesterday. I don't like it. The issue seems to be we had different visions for how the deck would be used.

DH built the deck from Lowes plans, following code, and adding his own modifications. His vision for the deck (which I learned yesterday) was that he could walk out on it with a cup of coffee, stand at the railing, watch the birds, enjoy the view. It would be a place to be outside without being on the ground. It would hold just a few people and be a place to sit with privacy from the neighbors. DH rarely ever sits, spends lots of time in the yard, does all the yard work, plants flower, fills the bird feeders, etc. The code for the railing is 36" and he raised it to 42" and made sure the top of the railing was big enough to set down a drink. He did this for 2 reasons. One was safety as he has seen many people fall off decks due to sitting on the railing. Our deck is several feet off the ground. The 2nd reason was to be comfortable to lean against when standing.

My vision for the deck was a comfortable place to sit and relax, read a book, enjoy the view, talk, eat a small meal. Sitting in a chair at the back of the deck, looking out into the yard, this is what I see.

If I stand up in the same spot, this is the view.

I shared my frustration with DH. While he understands my point he doesn't see this as an issue. He says if you want to see more of the yard, stand up. He is not going to make any changes to the deck. The only change we can make is buy taller chairs. Taller chairs don't seem like they would be the relaxing seats I envisioned.

Others have commented on the railing being in the field of vision but do like the higher railing for leaning against. Except for my mother (who was visiting) everyone else is taller than me which I think makes a difference. They can more easily see over the railing.

Ok, so do I just need to get over this? What would you do? Keep standard size chairs and just live with it? Buy higher chairs? I told DH I just won't sit on the deck except at night in the dark. At the bottom of the deck stairs will be a patio this year or next and I said I could just sit there. Yes, I admit I am very cranky about this.

We spent so much time planning the size of the deck, the placement of the stairs, the privacy screen on the neighbors side but he never mentioned he was raising the railing. I know he honestly never thought it would change the field of vision and be such an issue for me.

Any advice?

Comments (37)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH