SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
my3dogsii

The first CL $6.66 stool is re-done; slight Gustavian influence

My3dogs ME zone 5A
10 years ago

As close as I could get to a Gustavian look with a 1952 stool made in the USA, anyway. It's the thought that counts, right? :-)

The set of 3 before; I paid $20 for the set. They have beautiful solid brass casters on each leg.

After some creamy paint, a blue that I mixed to match the fabric, a light antique glaze, and some metallic gold paint. -

Comments (21)

• Laurie
    10 years ago

In the before pic, they look so sad and forlorn : (
    Now, they smile : )
    Beautiful job! I enjoy seeing all of your work!

No more box seat cushions...how did you make the "dome shape" cushion (not sure of the name of it).

How tall are they?

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

You are so talented!

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

Cheery!!!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think the first one is happy - it's going to be joined by its buddies sometime soon, but I am going to do each one differently. (Much to Beekeeperswife's dismay - sorry, Bee!)

Laurie, these are so well made and cared for that I was able to remove the original cushion insert from it's zippered cover, and re-use it, It was encased in a nice heavy cream colored fabric. I put it on the top of the stool in the recessed area where the original cushion was, and took some upholstery batting, and wrapped it over the original and stapled it down on all 4 sides. Then I cut the checked fabric to size and stapled that over the batting. Last came the welting, which is glued on with upholstery hot glue sticks.

It is 17.5" high, 17" long and 14.5" wide.

• beekeeperswife
    10 years ago

I've stopped crying and can now type...

kidding...

That is gorgeous.

I wish I could stop bringing home stuff to reupholster and just do one....I'm working on it though.

• dlfrun66
    10 years ago

Beautiful job. You are quite talented!

• Miz_M
    10 years ago

Wonderful! Love these!

Edit to add: I can't find your other thread, with the faux cowhide chair, but saw it the other day .... LOVE that chair! Wow! I'd be thrilled to have it in my home. :)

This post was edited by Miz_M on Tue, May 28, 13 at 20:29

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Miz M, Isn't this re-doing of Craigslist finds FUN? I just love making something look different from it's 'forlorn' start!

It's funny, I used the search function here on GW to try to find the faux cowhide chair, and got nothing; but when I Googled it, it appeared right away. Here is the link below.

I delivered that chair and the 'cheetah chair' below to the Mustard House shop yesterday. I'd sent the owner pictures of them and she wanted to try them. Great news for me, as it gives me more room to work on more!

Here is a link that might be useful: Faux cow hide chair re-do

• Miz_M
    10 years ago

Thanks for the link! And another WOW! I love animal prints done well, and this is stunning! I wish we lived close, I have a serious chair fetish, and would fill my home with yours. :-D You have the most amazing talent with fabrics (something I don't have!) :)

• User
    10 years ago

What a sweet stool, just perfect for the foot of a bed or tucked under a console somewhere, and the fabric is beautiful!

• User
    10 years ago

Sweet is indeed the right word ! What a charming stool. I agree that 3 all the same would be a bit much and highly unlikely that anyone would want all 3 anyway. You will have to show us how differently and yet interestingly you can do each one ! What a testament , once again, to your talent. c

• Laurie
    10 years ago

Thank you for describing how you modified that seat.
    I wonder if the person you bought these from was the original owner (or related to the owner) and how these seats were used in their home?
    kswl has some good ideas for where they could be used.

• sochi
    10 years ago

That looks great, good job. Definite Gustavian influence there!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I did buy them from the original owners, an older couple who have a large home on Maine's largest lake.

Since the original version has a removable cushion, and then the stool becomes a short table, I suspect they used them both ways, since they entertain a lot. They have a LOT of beautiful things, many antiques, and are getting rid of some, as they want to downsize their possessions.

I also bought a heavy solid maple bureau from them, that is very well made. It's not this style (how I wish it was!) but for $25, I can work with it. This black stenciled one is my inspiration to transform THAT piece.

This is the pic from the CL ad below - don't laugh; I'll be changing the knobs! It even has dust panels between the drawers. The top isn't warped at all, although it looks it in the pic. I'll also be shaving off the little wooden plugs on the legs, which are a similar shape to the inspiration pic.

• Laurie
    10 years ago

Very cool inspiration pic!

About the maple bureau you bought... I actually like the knobs and the little plugs.

What is a dust panel?

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A dust panel is below the bottom of each drawer when it's pulled out. Rather than seeing the contents of the drawer below, you see the dust panel protecting the items below. Here is a description I found online -

"A good quality desk or chest of drawers may have dust panels or thin sheets of wood between drawers in the body of a chest or desk. This not only makes them stronger structurally, but keeps dust away from clothing or papers."

The reason that I will be changing out the knobs and removing the plugs is to allow the piece to have an older look when painted, as they give it sort of a 50's vibe. I just tried to find a similar one online with knobs like that, and couldn't , but see that the vintage knobs are listed for crazy prices on eBay. See this style for $39.95 EACH!

Here is one of mine - they're huge.

Here is a link that might be useful: Antique Hardware Drawer Pull Maple Wood Knob

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

3 dogs, there you go again, working your magic! The stools are absolutely adorable. How did I miss the cheeta print chair?? I have to wonder how you part with them so easily...... *sigh*.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Patty, if I didn't part with them, I couldn't even walk through the house! I even put finished ones on TOP of the dining room table, on a heavy cloth, just to get them out of the way. Still, when I see a good one that I can get cheap...well, it gets added to the bunch already lined up in the cellar. If only I didn't have to work for a living....

• User
    10 years ago

Change out the knobs and sell the vintage ones on eBay.

You'll make enough to buy more good stuff.

• bonnieann925
    10 years ago

Wow! This is another simply amazing transformation. One for each pooch!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, bonnijeann, you should have heard me laugh just now! I think the stool and the Spanish chair that I did recently are the ONLY things that Riley hasn't given the sit test! Sam and Jenny DO share the first one I ever did a year ago, but young Riley needs to check out everything.

He even crawled into a bag I bought to put weeds in while gardening to test it out -