SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
glenda_al

recipe: eatin' hoe cake at paula deans's and her ds (pic)

glenda_al
18 years ago

Had the pleasure of touring Savannah GA, last weekend, and enjoying tried and true southern food.

They must have SOAKED that hoe cake in butter, along with her tasty cheese biscuits.

Buffet was not large at all.

Fried chicken, bbq, black-eye peas, collards, green lima beans, OF COURSE, cheese grits, mac and cheese.

Dessert: choice of banana pudding, peach cobbler, or cake.

{{!gwi}}

Paula wasn't there, which they say, she hardly ever is, but her DS, Bobby, was , signing autographs.

{{!gwi}}

MHO, I would NOT drive that far JUST to eat at Paula's restaurant. We had lunch at another Savannah buffet, on Sunday, which everyone seemed to enjoy, more than Paula's place.

Comments (3)

• jessay3
    18 years ago

I hope you enjoyed your trip Glenda. I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy Paula Deens. I've never eaten there myself, but from watching her show I know how much butter she uses! Uhhh....As a southern cook, I promise not all of us cooks that way! If I may, what other restaurant did ya'll eat at? I don't get to Savannah very much, even though I live much closer than you do. I live about 45 minutes from there, but I only take the kids to the doctor in Savannah. If I can help it I avoid going, it's always so busy and crowded!

I do hope you enjoyed the city though, it is a beautiful place to visit.

Jessie

• BeverlyAL
    18 years ago

I'm glad you got to sample Paula's place Glenda. I've never thought I would enjoy her restaurant very much either. I've tried a few recipes of hers, omiting some butter and they were pretty good. Other of her recipes I didn't like at all.

• glenda_al
    Original Author
    18 years ago

jessay3

Saturday, on the way down, we stopped in Macon Ga and lunched at Willows on the 5th -excellent
    Saturday nite: Carey Hillards bbq and seafood - I had crab stew, and was yummy!!
    Sunday: lunched at Pirate House which most of us thought was the best!!
    Sunday nite: Belford's Seafood and Steak: fantastic crabcakes

Monday: Pauls Deen's and Monday nite cocktails and appetizers at tour guide's cottage on Tybee Island. Of course, mint juleps!!

Monday nite, we had a ghost tour on a trolly which was fun!!

Never been to Savannah, and wish I HAD. It is such a beautiful town and so full of history!!