SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
harriethomeowner_gw

Mismatched wood finishes and windows: would this bother you?

harriethomeowner
15 years ago

Ever since we decided to spiff up our kitchen, I have been convinced that one thing I wanted to do was remove the white painted window frames (which go with nothing else in the house -- all of our other trim is stained dark wood) and wrap tile around the bottom of each window and finish off the top of each window with a plain edge (no trim).

DH and the tile people we've talked to do not think this is a good idea, or more that it's more trouble than it's worth. It's going to involve using a lot of expensive pencil edge to finish off the tile edges, whereas if we keep the wood frames, it's very simple.

I just really don't like the way these window frames look. Here's the one over the sink:

And here's the other window:

The windows are different heights off the counter -- sink window is 3 1/2 inches and garden window is 2 1/2 inches. With the granite in place, the frame on the bottom of the garden window now hovers about 1/8 inch off the counter.

Is there any way to make this look good? Could I maybe paint the window frames a color that will match the tile (creamy marble subways -- you can see a few pieces in the first picture)?

It's probably one of those things that no one else will notice, but it just glares out at me.

(Oh, and replacing the window frames with stain-grade wood will cost the same as tiling. And then there's still the problem of the spacing not matching.)

Comments (22)