SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulguy

Sometimes bad news - turns out better than expected

joyfulguy
11 years ago

Shortly after I moved to the farm, seven years ago, I began gardening.

Shortly after that, a gardening lady of a nearby farm that had become friends gave me a five-hoed cultivator ... that had a rather rough, decrepit handle.

Not too long after I had it, the handle broke, a long split that left a diminishing part of the handle intact.

I've used it that way for at least a couple of years.

The other day, with over 20 rows, most of them 55 - 60+ paces long and only partly seeded ... I was digging hard at a partly cultivated location at the end of a row where the old sod had been incompletely ploughed ...

... and broke the handle!

I berated myself for having been so stupid ... when there was more garden than in earlier years ... much of it still unplanted!

With a couple of years (at least) to have picked up a handle when visiting the hardware store ... I'd neglected to have done so.

So - do I drive about 10 miles to a hardware store ... or reconfigure the existing handle, whittling down the business end with a rather dull jackknife to where it would fit into the metal furl on the cultivator and using the former nail to secure it?

That I did - with the handle having become only about 4" shorter.

Later, I recounted the story of my neglect/stupidity to my landlord ... who provides the ground, ploughing and cultivating ... and who benefits substantially from the produce, which he sometimes picks himself.

He allowed as how I was lucky ... that he'd had a garden rake that broke, leaving a surplus handle, that he'd almost thrown out ... and had been about to.

The late-night mischief-making young lads had decided that my mailbox at the road needed some amendments using a baseball bat, or similar instrument, a couple of weeks ago and I asked the landlord for a short screwdriver that I needed to unhook the box from the post.

So I brought in the box and set about with a hammer to ameliorate the damage as much as I could ...

... while he, having brought the handle and a draw-knife from his place that day, set about reconfiguring the handle to fit my cultivator.

During that time, he said that in conversation with his wife, he'd said that he figured that repairing(replacing) a mailbox should be a tenat's responsibility ... but that she disagreed, saying that it was part of the house and the ancillary equipment necessary to make a rural residency viable ... so that was his responsibility.

So - he fixed my cultivator, providing some of the equipment ... while I repaired "his" mailbox!

And ... it's so much more pleasant, using that cultivator, now!

ole joyfuelled (who needs more regular fuel, now that gardening season's upon us ... again)

Comments (11)