SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
glitter_and_guns

What are the best countertop choices for a busy kitchen?

glitter_and_guns
10 years ago

I am just getting my research in place for either a full remodel or maybe just a face lift of my kitchen. Either way, the laminate countertops that were in the kitchen when I bought it a year ago are on their way out. And picking a countertop material seems to be the hardest decision that I will make. Maybe y'all could offer some advice?

The parameters - Counter top will be visible from main living area. Everything needs to be painted, so I can work from the kitchen for colors into the living space.

I have a love for darker woods with a lot of age on them - my table is an antique, aged, somewhere between a mahogany and walnut toned table and it will be staying and will be in the same visual area.

I have golden oak cabinets that are in great shape but wouldn't have been my color choice back in 1990 when they went in, still don't like them. I will either replace or am considering having them painted. Want to end up with a darker mink color (between a grey and a taupe).

Flooring will be put in new, so that isn't an issue.

The kitchen is a wide galley with a lot of natural light - skylights, french doors, big window. 6 feet between cabinets on one wall to the other.

And now the hard part - I love the look of marble. It is timeless and clean looking. It has the colors in it that I want. It can be done with a softer looking finish (I think the shiny finishes will tend to look "plasticy" with all the light in my kitchen and I am sure evry etch or scratch will light up when the sun hits it). BUT!!!! I refuse to be the counter top police. I have tweens and teens, a pool, and there are people here constantly. My kitchen is used by lots of people besides me and my immediate family. Over spring break my kids had a cupcake decorating contest with some of their friends - I had bits of fondant stuck to everything. We often have large groups of family and friends over for pool parties. Margaritas will be made. And they will be spilled. I like nice things very much, but I like having a home that people feel comfy in even more. Plus, as often as people are here, I would be nuts if I had to be the only one in the kitchen all of the time.

The good news is that I don't need to worry about resale value - so I can pick what works for us.

So, realistically what are my best choices for counter tops? Thank you all so much for pointing me in the right direction!

This post was edited by glitter_and_guns on Wed, Apr 9, 14 at 10:53

Comments (10)