SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gwanny2three

what price a light bulb?

gwanny2three
15 years ago

This was sent to me today and I don't know how true it is but sure worth a read.

I hope the information is correct. If not, sorry about that. If so, beware.

WHAT PRICE A LIGHT BULB?

OUR HEALTH BY Dani Doane

Last year, Congress passed a bill aimed at reducing energy consumption. That's a laudable goal. Who doesn't want to save energy?

One of the proposals signed into law, though, goes too far, and, as I recently found out with my kids, can even endanger your health.

Lawmakers mandated the eventual replacement of conventional light bulbs with compact florescent lights, or CFL's. They're supposed to be four times more efficient than the incandescent bulbs, so it made sense to try them.

During a recent weekend, however, the law of unintended consequences hit home.

The kids were running around. Then, a crash, there went my favorite lamp. Yes, I was upset about the lamp, but as I looked closer, fear gripped me. The lamp had in it one of those new bulbs, and they contain mercury. I immediately shooed my children away. I then did what anyone with a toxic substance leaking into the floor would do: I cleaned it up.

That was a mistake. You see, if you break a compact fluorescent bulb, your first course of action should be to open all doors and windows and air out the room. Oh, and everyone should leave for at least 15 minutes. Didn't know that? Funny, neither did I at the time.

Mercury actually changes to vapor at room temperature, and people can inhale it, as I probably did leaning over the shards of the bulb to clean it up.

My next mistake was to vacuum up the remaining pieces, since I couldn't seem to corral them with a wet towel. Now I have to throw away my new $400 vacuum. It turns out that mercury can get into your vacuum and, once heated in the motor, can infect the air around it.

So here I sit with the recriminations and the questions. Did my kids get exposed to mercury in the few moments it took to clear the room? And how much was I exposed to while cleaning it up? It was just a light bulb after all, right?

According to the Environmental Protection Agency, the amount of mercury in the new bulbs is less than the tip of a pen. This is good, except for fact that since you can't actually see it, you can't really be sure you've cleaned it all up.

It was my choice to buy the bulb. But under the new law passed last year, incandescent bulbs will begin to be phased out in 2012, and people will no longer have a choice. I wonder how many of them will understand these complex cleanup and disposal procedures?

The new bulbs may save energy, but we need to beware the law of unintended consequences. For now, I'm using incandescent.

McCLATCHY-TRIBUNE NEWS SERVICE This needs to be read by everyone.

Comments (18)