SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hilnaric

What do I owe this realtor?

hilnaric
11 years ago

I'm a long-time renter who was seriously considering buying when real estate prices bottomed out, and I had figured out the townhouse complex where I wished to do so. I'd been to several open houses there, and the realtor at one (who actually lives in the complex) had mentioned to me that one of her neighbors had a short sale coming up that sounded very much like what I wanted, so I said, yes, please let me know when it happens. (My landlord doesn't want to lose me as a tenant so I have the option of going month to month while waiting out a short sale if I wanted to put myself through the process.)

She began emailing me (personal emails, not the computer generated ones I get from another agent for having filled out the registration/comment sheet at one open house) about most of the units that came on the market while waiting for the short sale. When it finally came on the market the short sale unit was priced very much higher than she expected (it's still sitting there and will probably continue to sit at the price they want).

In the meantime I've pretty much decided against buying. While prices are still quite low, they've recovered enough that I'm not comfortable with the combined outlay of paying cash for a unit and putting out the necessary money for repairs/renovations. (In my part of FL all deals are for cash these days, especially if it's a bank sale.)

What would be an appropriate gesture for this woman? I do appreciate the trouble she's taken, and she has been quite helpful in answering general questions about the complex, although she hasn't made me aware of any listings I hadn't already gotten auto-emails about from other sources. If something came up that I did want to make on offer on she's not really someone I would want to use as a buyer's agent, because she lives there and has a direct personal interest in seeing the highest possible sale prices. I would like to compensate her for the time she's taken, though. What should I give her?

Comments (5)