SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caliloo_gw

RECIPE: Hungarian Caputosh Testa

caliloo
17 years ago

Since we were discussing Chicken Paprikash and the numerous variations out there, I thought I might add another "peasant dish" (as my mom calls them) to the list for anyone who is interested. There are probably as many ways of making this as there are cooks in Hungary, but this is how I make it.

Caputosh Testa

1 lb bacon

1 onion, sliced thin

1 head cabbage, shredded

1 tsp sugar

salt

black pepper

10 - 12 oz bag egg noodles (I prefer med width)

Cook bacon over med-low heat in a large saute pan until it is very crispy, but not burnt. Remove bacon to a plate.

In the bacon fat, add the shredded onion and cabbage and cook over med-low until it begins to wilt. Add a pinch of Kosher salt, sugar and several grinds of black pepper. Continue cooking until the cabbage is a golden brown and very soft.

Boil noodles according to package directions. Drain throughly.

Add the cooked noodles to the cabbage onion mixture, mix well. Crumble in bacon and add additional ground black pepper.

This is excellent served with pork chops, roast pork or any non-saucy pork recipe.

Alexa

Comments (5)

• User
    17 years ago

Alexa, That sounds really good. I love the combination of the cabbage and the noodles.

Ann

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

Alexa, I know where your mother is coming from. An awful lot of everyday Hungarian food is identifed that way.

It's as if there were only two groups of Hungarian kitchens: those belonging to the Hapsburgs, and those belonging to peasants.

What, I wonder, about all the other folks between those extremes? Didn't any of them cook at home?

• caliloo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I forgot to add that sometimes my mom would put in poppy seeds or caraway seeds when she added the salt & pepper. I sometimes use the poppy seeds, but no one in the house (except me) like caraway.

They are just another couple of options.....

Alexa

• cuffs054
    17 years ago

We used to call it Haluski.

• san_
    17 years ago

ooh--how did i miss this? i'm half russian and ted is mainly german--your perfect peasants. this sounds fabulous even if he'd frown at me over that amount of bacon...with an adjustment or two about that, i'm sure he'd be a happy camper! thanx alexa!