SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cindyandmocha

New Bedroom - embracing change

cindyandmocha
12 years ago

I am finally getting to redecorate/remodel my master bedroom after 20 years. I'm excited about the change, and am embracing something fresher and newer. The old bedroom had the worst carpet in the world on top of a buckled water damaged floor. It literally created a bump you could trip over. I use to love the giant sleigh bed and the British west indies vibe of the dark wood furniture. I'm over it now and want something fresh and new. Plus I was tired of needing a ladder to get into bed - lol.

So I've been keeping a word document mocked up with snagit pics of pieces that appeal to me for whatever reason and have been slowly whittling it down to a design.

The room is 21 x 12 - yep, I sleep in a bowling alley it seems. It was originally 2 bedrooms and the previous owners turned it into one large master.

I've decided to go a medium to dark grey on the walls, with accents of charcoal, yellow, and cream. So far, my collage is below. I've had a ball scouring the internet for my "bargain finds".

I've been droooooling over the Colette Bed from Crate & Barrel for ages, and finally ordered it. I ordered it in chocolate since the reality is I do have 2 large dogs, and dogs shed. Plus, when I got their "graphite" swatch, it really looked green. This was the only piece that was not a bargain - though I did luck up finding some internet coupon codes that worked. I found similar beds on the Big O and other places that were ALMOST identical, but not quite what I wanted. Hubby finally said to go with it and don't look back so I did.

The paint is up for debate. I loved the sample of Benjamin Moore "Grey Shower", but every grey paint I try in the room looks blue to me, so I'm still hunting.

I have dogs so carpet was out, and so was the glossy hardwood I wanted (they are BIG dogs and nails would ruin that finish). I went with a glossy laminate and it is mid-install. I LOVE it. It's "Santos Mahogany" and gorgeous. I used my trusty "fork-tine and screwdriver test" on a sample and not one scratch.

I bought the large rug (8 x 11)from Big O and the 2 chairs from Amazon.

I got the curtains from Amazon with my points from all the other purchases! I was reeeally scared of such a bold frilly curtain - I NEVER do that, but I LOVE them. They remind me of flower petals and 2 windows flank either side of the bed.

I bought the 2 end tables to use for night stands from onewayfurniture.com last night. I love those silver capped feet.

I got the lamp for my husband's side of the bed at Big O and found a lovely crackle mercury glass one for my side (same dimensions but oval) at Home Goods for a song. I also got a great large mirror at Home Goods to go over the dresser (if I don't mount the TV over it instead).

I got two of the overhead fixtures from Big O and LOVE them. I only have 8 ft ceilings so a big chandelier was out.

I got the duvet from Big O and am in love with it too.

The two pieces I am reusing to save money are my old dresser and chest of drawers. They are a dark wood similar to the pic below. They have those antique looking bail pulls in a dark color. I found a bargain on Williams Sonoma silver cup pulls online. Normally $14 and change, I got them for $4 each (I needed 22 of them!). I'm changing out the hardware this weekend.

Below is the pic in my head... I can't wait to see it all pulled together in the room and start accessorizing.

The one piece I don't have that I'm scouting for is a vanity/desk. I want to find something that doesn't look like some of the cheesier looking vanities I've seen. I'd like at least 2 deeper drawers to hold some of those bottles and jars, with maybe NO mirror attached, and put a pretty metal based one on it myself, or maybe a nice venetian mirror behind it, and store a good magnifying one in a drawer. I been tempted by a mirrored vanity, but wonder if that wouldn't be over the top (and send my husband into "frilly" overload). I'm considering maybe an antique campaign desk if I can find one, just to mix it up a little.

Comments (12)