SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidro1_gw

German magazine readers mailed in Q+A answers (kitchen)

davidro1
13 years ago

Saw on livingkitchen-cologne.com site ("Living Kitchen" is a trade show with consumers attending also)

In the Fall a major German magazine asked questions, and 12000 people sent in returns to declare their intentions. In all questions, multiple answers were possible.

Self-made declarations point to this: in planning their next kitchen, they declare they will focus on

quality,

low-maintenance surfaces,

energy efficiency,

storage space (amount),

convenient working processes,

price,

ergonomics,

comfort and convenience;

this is listed in order of most important to less important as per responses in self-declared returns (91.5% of respondents, 84%, 83%, 81%, 75%, 63%, 53%, 51%).

The lowest in importance is design or look: 47%.

My comments:

1/ They declare they are not as much interested in design or looks as the average person I know.

2/ They show themselves as seeking quality, process and efficiency more than price.

3/ Some keyword phrases sound too similar, so people can select or deselect based on prejudices about the term: convenient working processes, ergonomics, comfort and convenience.

The vast majority declared they

are owners

with space "available" of 1-2000 sq ft

with kitchen space averaging 160 sq ft

--

Some of the results are surprising.

For one thing, many people are confused and can't declare they like one thing or another ((Conclusion: They need to be sold.))

One area of confusion was counter tops (laminate, wood, composite material, stainless, porcelain, glass, mineral material, etc). The one thing that a number of declarations were specifically in favor of was stone. This sounds to me like what some German homeowners dream of having that their neighbors don't have: granite or natural stone. I think existing German kitchens do not have as much of this as US kitchens do. (Reality is different in the trade show exhibits: there is little or none).

They were divided on these subjects:

induction hob versus ceramic hob (i.e. radiant)

kitchen front panels/doors either plain colored or high-gloss surface

kitchen general color: white, or pastel, or brown not black, and many couldn't pick a general color

And a vast majority declared they would want either

timeless / traditional

or

modern / design oriented

(clear as mud).

--

Positively expressed wants.

The vast majority want

an extractor (exhaust) hood to be ultraquiet in operation

ultra-quiet appliances too

built-in high-level oven (what we call a wall oven)

built-in but NOT under the countertop

dishwasher fully integrated

dishwasher highly rated for energy efficiency and water efficiency

refrigerator highly rated for energy efficiency

stainless steel finishes, not white

cd spend up to $20,000.

1/2 said they would want

a separate room (not the seamless transition from kitchen to another area)

built-in refrigerator

zero-degree food storage

fridge capacity in the range of a 30"w US fridge

slim profile on the extractor hood

light in the extractor hood

oven cleaning systems and oven extractor systems

flexible interior in dishwasher

Practically 100% want a

hood (extractor/exhaust) to be part of any kitchen (either recirculating or outside vented)

dishwasher to be part of any kitchen

(((to me, the above is interesting)))

a refrigerator also

an oven/hob was to be in almost every kitchen, but a fraction fewer said it was essential. (((.!!!.)))

(and also not microwave, which came in at about 3/4 of respondents saying it would necessarily be there)

(not steam oven, not as a must have)

--

i think that many of the respondents have been sold already in terms of low-low temperature refrigeration, and "extractor" exhaust, but they lack information about other things; e.g. induction and steam ovens are lightyears ahead of the alternatives.

Comments (10)