SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bakergirl_gw

Bench to table distance

Bakergirl
12 years ago

Hello,

We are getting a built-in banquette in our kitchen. I am trying to figure out what size table to get. Do the edges of the table typically overap the end of the seats by a certain amount? I believe the contractor said there will be a 5" back and 18" seat (because most bench cushions are 18" deep). The banquette will be three-sided, and we don't plan to do more than get a "just in case" backless bench to slide under the 4th side (one of the longer sides)--not sticking out except in the rare instances that someone would be sitting there.

Is there any kind of standard distance from the end of the bench seat to the table (or a standard amount of overlap)? I'm trying to balance the ability to get in and out with the concern that the table top not start in a place that is too far from the seat (particularly given that I have two younger kids that will be eating there). I have about 60" (62" from wall, 60" from edge of window sill) from the back wall to where the pantry starts on the side wall. So, I don't want the table to be wide enough to get in the way of that. I *think* a 36" wide table will be ok (60-23=37). It will be even more ok if the table would typically overlap the bench end a little. Thoughts?

Comments (14)