SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aokat15_gw

I can't believe I just did that!

aokat15
13 years ago

In my obsession with keeping the countertops and appliances looking as good as they did when we installed them, I saw some strange orange spots on my Subzero stainless refrigerator door that I just couldn't get out with the stainless cleaner. I had no idea what it could be that wasn't coming off... I grabbed the sponge and still nothing. Then I flipped the sponge over to the rough side and they started to come off. My relief quickly turned to shock when I realized that I was scratching the stainless door! Is there anything I can do to buff out the scratches? It really looks awful now and I just can't believe that in a few seconds of OCD craziness I did that :(

Comments (11)

• cfmuehling
    13 years ago

Call the SubZero 800 number. You can't be the first to do that.

If all else fails, my first thought is to call an expert car refinisher and have it buffed out. Someone who deals with very, very expensive cars or rebuilds antique classics. They can't be hacks.

But I'd call SubZero.
    Been there, done stuff without thinking. It happens.

Christine

• shanghaimom
    13 years ago

Did the exact same thing on my range, so I hope you find a solution. I assumed nothing could be done but am keeping my fingers crossed that someone has a good idea for you!

• blfenton
    13 years ago

Failing the ability to fix it - maybe get a new door?

• aokat15
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just called Subzero but it's their after-hours service so they suggested I call on Monday to speak to a representative then... I will keep you posted and try to hold back the tears in the meantime!

• cfmuehling
    13 years ago

Dearheart, there is nothing that cannot be fixed. It's just a question of how many $$$$.

I have a Koehler "Hawthorne" cast iron farm sink. It's 150lbs, Roussalain red.

It sat on my garage floor for 2 years. (Thank you, my STBX) A floor that was flooded several times when the water softener overflowed, condensation, etc.

By the time I got it installed the underside was rusting & the bowl had kind of a slice in it.

I called Koehler to ask what I could do to seal the underside, knowing the scratch was our own fault. They had no touch-up kits anymore, but they could replace the sink. This is built into only counter I have & I can't take that out.

They sent me a whole new sink. I have it in the barn.

You never know. They might send you a whole new face panel!

Good luck.
    Christine

• aokat15
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just talked to a rep at Subzero and they recommended a product called "Scratch B Gone" - they said that this product works really well. I'm going to try and will keep you posted!

• CEFreeman
    13 years ago

You could be saving a lot of heartache with this news!

Got my fingers crossed for you!
    Christine

• Stacey Collins
    13 years ago

I hope it works!
    Can you update us after you try it? I, too, have a big scratched area on my range where DH used the rough side of a green scrubby sponge on it :(

• CEFreeman
    13 years ago

So.....
    did it work?
    Christine

• aokat15
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I haven't tried it yet - I need to order it online and my DH wanted to first see if there were similar products at Lowes, etc (no luck). I'm going to call this am to see which product would be best and will place my order. I'll definitely keep everyone posted!!

• User
    13 years ago

Yes it can be fixed, but you'll prob. not be happy with the magic in a bottle solution SZ recd.

You need to get someone who specializes in SS fabrication to to come refinish it if you want it to look whole again. All those doors are brushed and you'll need the whole thing brushed again in several steps with the right equipment.

BTW, get the freezer door done at the same time so you won't have a mis-match!