SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarapamela_gw

Puck Under Cabinet Lights?

sarapamela
12 years ago

After reading the forum message boards and so much helpful information about UCL, I talked DH into having them installed now, rather than after the cabinets go in. My cabinet builder said he uses puck lights that are recessed in his cabinets. He said no wires would show and that I need to have an outlet near the top of the wall. Sounds like another big bill from an electrician??? The cabinets and moulding will go all the way to the ceiling, so I guess nothing will show.

First of all, what should I expect to pay for the outlet installation? We just had to move an outlet and a switch when we opened up a wall, and the bill was waaayyy more than we thought ($400) for what was supposed to be a simple job. (Is there such a thing?!) To digress a bit (and whine a little), we are getting hit up big time because the wall we were told would be "easy" to remove turned out to be load-bearing. So, although I want UCL, our budget is blown to bits so I'm looking for an affordable way to do this.

Also I'd like advice on what kind of pucks are good. I don't want them to be hot since they are in the bottom of the upper cabinets. Xenon, LED, old fashioned ones??? They would probably be low voltage, right? Do the low voltage bulbs flicker?

We also will have two angled upper cabinets (like a corner cupboard) and want to be able to illuminate those.

I've read a fair amount about lighting options and it is a bit overwhelming. Can someone please explain in layman's terms what I need to know and ask for in puck lighting that will be recessed like that?

Comment (1)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio