SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosemaryt_gw

Come see my rain barrels... (many pictures)

rosemaryt
14 years ago

A couple years ago, I read that rainwater is ideal for gardens because it contains no chlorine or fluoride, neither of which are good for tender green things growing in the dirt.

And in my city, it's illegal to dig a well within 100 feet of the principal residence, so that means that 90% of homeowners can't dig a well. So, I installed a rain barrel. But you can't put in just one...

The first one just sat in the dirt, but the spigot is so close to the ground and the head pressure is so poor, it was hard to use. I couldn't get a watering can under it and the hose kept kinking and it had no water pressure, so...

I found that if I put a 24" platform under the rain barrel, it was much easier to use. But then 24" was still too short, so I built the next platform at 36" (shown in photos). I'm much more pleased with that one.

Each barrel holds 60 gallons, and the platform with three barrels is under a back porch roof downspout, however that back porch is under the main roof's downspout. Last night, all three barrels filled up in less than 20 minutes. Lots of water comes flying off our steep roof during a good down pour.

Here are some photos. Now I have to plant my flowers and veggies so I can use all that water for a good purpose!

The water is so soft and smells so nice. It's no suitable for drinking without a complex filter, but it still feels nice on your hands. :) Enjoy the photos. (I built the platforms with my own widdle hands.)

I didn't want the barrels right up against the house, so I moved them out about four inches and then put this 6" plexiglass extension on the downspout. Works like a charm.

Wet dog, wondering when we can go back in the house and have our evening bone.

Sometimes, the inlet (which has a fine screen) gets clogged up.

Comments (22)