SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kateskouros

can we talk mixers?

kateskouros
13 years ago

my kitchen aid is 21 years old and it still works great ...sort of. i stalled the motor the last time i used it and had to toss what i was doing. the 5 quart bowl is too small but besides that, it just can't handle dense dough -especially not when i triple recipes. it was fine after i let it rest but i've decided she's just not working for me anymore. fine for light use, but that's about it.

i'm a baker so mixing up a lot of dough. i do bread occasionally but have been hesitant since i feel the KA won't cut it. i need a larger capacity bowl and much heftier motor. thought i'd look around for a hobart but they either make a 5 quart -which is what i have now or a 10 and 20 quart. both those options are too huge size-wise and take up a lot of space, as well as operate on 220 volt power so they're out. i found a globe which is a little less expensive than hobart, but still pricey and also quite large.

so i decide the commercial mixers are just too much of everything and go back to searching for a home kitchen machine. i look at bosch, cuisinart, hamilton beach and a few others. and then i find the electrolux magic mill deluxe (N28). does anyone have one of these? operating at 600 watts and boasting a full horsepower motor it looks about right. it takes an 8 quart bowl and seems like a reputable product. it's much different from other stand mixers in that the bowl rotates while the attachments remain stationery, but do turn in the opposite direction. also has a bowl scraper that can be used which looks like a really cool thing to someone easily impressed, such as myself.

i spent last night looking at youtube videos of these things in action and honestly, when i saw what they can do i heard myself making some of the sounds normally reserved for times people are having intimate relations.

so who's got one???

Comments (18)