SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nick_shirley

Insulating cover for an in-ground spa (suggestions wanted)

nick_shirley
14 years ago

I have an in-ground rectangular (95 inches by 81 inches) spa connected to my pool (the spa can be heated separately though). I'm interested in finding a cover that will insulate the spa as much as possible between uses, presumably one that would simply float on the surface. I went to Leslie's yesterday and for about $35 bought an 8' by 8' sheet of what looks like blue bubble wrap the salesperson said would work for what I want. But the sheet is so flimsy and thin I can't imagine that it would do much in the way of insulation and so I'm thinking about returning it unused.

What I had in mind was something with some serious thickness and R value, sort of like the thick foam that you find in pool noodle toys. The sheet would be somewhat rigid and unlike the bubble wrap stuff, wouldn't be able to fold up on itself and would more or less stay in place even when subject to a modest wind. Sounds pretty simple, cheap, and effective.

But when I searched the 'Net, I couldn't find anything like this. All of the floating blankets appear to be designed as secondary insulation going below one of those big heavy covers over a stand-up hot tub. Even versions costing near or above $100 seem to be intended as additional, rather than the only, insulation. I suppose that I could cut a thick piece of plywood to make a hard cover for the spa but right now I'm just interested in a small amount of insulation to maintain some of the heat from a Friday night session until Saturday night. After that point, the spa water would be slowly intermixed with the pool water (even with the valves pointing in the right direction) and no matter how good of an insulation product I install, eventually the temp in the spa will go back down to that of the pool.

Does this sort of alternative to the blue bubble wrap idea exist? If so, where can I find such a product? If not, are there other solutions I should ponder?

Thanks!

Nick in Palm Springs

Comments (7)