SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
positano_gw

Question about round dining tables that extend

positano
15 years ago

I'm looking to get a 48 inch round that extends. For those of you that have extension tables, does the line down the middle of the table drive you crazy. Do you put a runner down the middle? What about a glass top? Or is it something that you don't notice after a while.

This is to go in our kitchen, we do not have a formal dining room anymore so I wanted somthing to extend for larger dinners.

I'm just wondering if I should go with a 54 inch round and no extension, but that would make it a little tight in my space.

Comments (24)

• erikanh
    15 years ago

The line doesn't bother me at all, never gave it a second thought.

• chloe_s_mom
    15 years ago

I purposely have a kitchen table with no seams - not sure if we are unusually messy eaters (the kids certainly are), but I find that things/crumbs/etc get stuck in the seams - hard to clean

• kpaquette
    15 years ago

I'm in the exact same situation - no formal dining, kinda small "eating area" - it's our summer house so usually it's just DH and I and 2 guests - but I want the option for more seating - so we are also getting a round table (48") with leaves.

I have one here at my other house - the leaf is always in because we wanted the oval, and the seams don't bother me at all. I do have a rectangle cloth thingy in the middle with a bowl as a centerpiece - but it doesn't hide the seams all the way by any means.

I don't think you want your space to be tight - fine when your leaves are in on the occasions you need more seating but not all the time. JMO. Instead of a 54" round, would you have room for an oval that's not too wide but has no seams?

• trudymom
    15 years ago

The line does not bother me at all and I'm a pretty picky person.

• shannonplus2
    15 years ago

The line in my round extendable table does bother me. I just think it mars the pretty wood, and I am frequently turning the table just a tad so that the line is parallel to the wall rather than askew (I know, I am crazy). But actually, that part isn't so bad. What really bothers me is that we NEVER use the extension. We paid extra for a table with an extension, and never use it. Plus that extension piece is a bit of a PITA to store, taking up room in a closet. If I had to do it again, I would get a table that does not have an extension. Your experience may be different; perhaps you will have frequent use of the larger table. We don't.

• eastcoastmom
    15 years ago

In our breakfast area we will be choosing between a 60 inch round table, a 48 inch with leaves or a rectangular shape that seats six with or without leaves. Currently, we have a 48 inch round with leaves and I have to admit that the crumbs in the seam were a big pain in the neck. So yes, that's a consideration this time. However, if you had to choose between that and a too crowded space, I'd probably go for the 48 inch with leaf.

• tsherman
    15 years ago

We have the round table with the extension and we use it both ways depending on the company/my mood. The seam isn't much of an issue because with the frequent in and out of the leaf we just wipe down the seam to clear out any crud that falls in there (I think we eat more coucous than most families!)

The one warning I do have is to make sure if you table opens up for a leaf, that it says shut when you want it to. Ours does not have a latch to lock the side in place and it slides open (about 1/8") which is really annoying.

• jaybird
    15 years ago

We have a 43" round table in the breakfast nook (where we eat 90% of the time). It has a 12" leaf that we use pretty regularly. The table has locks for with/without leaf. I, like Shannon, line up the seam with the wall. Other than that, I don't pay any attention to it and it falls in the middle of my "place" at the table. I clean and wax the table weekly and that keeps it grunge free. We also use placemats.

• november
    15 years ago

We have a round table with a leaf that's always in, making it an oval. The lines of the leaf don't bother me at all, but we have three kids under age 9, and what drives me CRAZY is that when they lean on the table to color or write, the table sort of tips. It's a pedestal table, which I think most round tables are, and although I love the way it looks, it's ridiculous for little kids. I'm fantasizing about a very stable rectangular table with 4 legs... If kids are part of your equation, go "test drive" a round table before buying one!

• neesie
    15 years ago

I have a 48" round oak pedestal table (antique) that can accomadate up to three leaves. The "line" or seperation doesn't bother me at all. It is pretty much flush and I don't notice crumbs getting caught in there. I've had it for almost 25 years now.

• glad
    15 years ago

I have a 42" round cherry dining table that has two leaves I rarely use; never though about the line at all. I have a vase sitting right in the center, but he rest is visible.

• positano
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Great responses...I hadn't even thought about the crumbs. I do think we will use the extension. DH's sister lives right next door and her family eats with us a lot.

I'm more of the line in the table needs to be lined up kind of gal. Although my table isn't even centered on the window and I don't even notice anymore.

Any idea about where to find a 48 that extends?

I'm considering a couple from Pottery Barn and Crate and Barrell. I know Bermex and Canadel can custom make a table too. Definitely want a pedestal, although I had not thought of the tipping aspect. I'll have to give them a test run.

Thanks!

• erikanh
    15 years ago

We have an Ethan Allen pedestal table that we keep the leaf in all the time. The seams stay shut very tight, so we don't have a problem with crumbs/grunge/etc. It's 48" and opens to 66" to seat 6 comfortably. Very stable, doesn't tip when my daughter leans on it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ethan Allen pedestal table

• Fori
    15 years ago

I have an old rectangular table with leaves and the crack is no big deal. Put the leaves in and it is, but that's because the leaves got damaged in a flood when my grandparents owned it...

My parents have had a round oak pedestal table for years. No problems with the cracks. They did have a problem after they put the leaves in for the first Thanksgiving--the thing weighed so much and was such a pain to move they left the leaves in permanently. So they lived with three cracks (and 4 kids). No problem. They can only fit one leaf in their new house so it's just two cracks. Still tight.

• krissd
    15 years ago

I just got rid of our small round kitchen table. (We are having a trestle table built for our banquette). Loved it, except for the seam down the middle. I am with Shannon plus. I always have to have it turned to line up with the window. Also, we do have issues with stuff getting in the seam. We never use our leaf because our kitchen was still too small even with the leaf. (And we have a larger dining table.)

I would definitely get a pedestal or trestle because even if the table is without a leaf, you can still add two more kids (extra boys are usually around our house) comfortably. Our table had four big thick legs which looked great, but when we added a couple extra boys, you did have to angle chairs.

Fun to get new furniture! Good luck.

• katieob
    15 years ago

Hi.

We have this black pedestal from Crate & Barrel with an extension (45 to 60). We are in such a small space that we don't use the leaf now, but I'm looking very forward to breaking out that leaf in the new house!

It has that tiny bit of a rubbed look which works great with kids and dings and scratches. We get tons of compliments on it. We use black chairs & cute cushions from PB that are washable.

HTH

Here is a link that might be useful: Pedestal Table

• positano
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the link Erikanh, I'll check out EA.

Katieob- I've seen the Avalon. If I wanted black it would be great. I'm looking for an espresso color. Glad to hear you love it. IT did look cute in the store.

Krissd= Thanks for the honesty about the seam. Maybe if I'm prepared for it, it won't be so bad. Dh works at night so most of the time it's me and the two kids at the island. Maybe that will cut down on the crumbs and grunge!

Fori- that's too funny your parents left the leaves in all the time. Good advice to check out the weight of the leaf first.

Here are the two I'm considering.

Crate and Barrell Allegro 48 inches to 72...little sleeker looking

OR

Pottery Barn Harvest Table 48 to 68 slighly distressed so may be good with the kids. My local pottery barn has a floor model on sale. I'm going to check it out tomorrow.

{{!gwi}}

• erikanh
    15 years ago

I love that Pottery Barn one! My table has a distressed finish too, and I'm so glad. I don't worry about the craft projects, etc. because it already has the little dents and dings that make the new scratches much less noticeable. It's 4 years old but it still looks great when I polish it.

• krissd
    15 years ago

I love them both. Love the sleek look of the first, but i would get the one with the distressed top. Our dining room table is a bit distressed, and I don't really worry about anything. Either would be great. I say go for the floor model if possible. Save some do re mi. kris

• melanie1422
    15 years ago

I love the Pottery Barn Harvest tables. I am still upset with myself for not buying the rectangular one when they were offering it with a Carrera top.

I used to have an expandable round to oval table, and I never had trouble with the line. I did have trouble with my idiot roommates who ruined it with water rings and cigarettes and a multitude of sins (it lived on our covered patio).

• positano
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So, I went to Pottery Barn today. They had a floor model of the round Harvest Table that extends on sale. It is $999 down to $699. I love the table, but the one on sale has terrible round swirly scratches all over it. She said she'd go even lower at $599. I have two young kids that are going to scratch it anyway, but I'm not sure if I'm ok with starting out with these. I asked if they could be sanded out, but it has a veneer top. Not sure if that could be done.

Is it worth $400 more to get a new one? I think the display table got scratched so easily since they pile all the wicker baskets on top. Then move them around.

The table had bright spotlights in the store shining down,so I think that made it worse.

I think if I got a new one I would have a glass top made.

What to do, what to do. Help!

• positano
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bump...

• erikanh
    15 years ago

positano, I have a sofa table from Pottery Barn and I have noticed that the finish isn't very durable, scratches easily. Also, is that table painted or stained? My Ethan Allen table is a stained wood with a beautiful grain which really helps hide any scratches as well as the distressed finish. You said you want a very dark color, so that probably means paint? If so, I'd recommend you buy another table and get the glass top made. I think all those existing scratches might really bother you.

Good luck!

Erika

• positano
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Erika. The table is stained and it is a walnut color, not too dark.But I think the veneer makes the scratches show more. I will probably look around a little more, if I can't find anything I will get the new one and put the glass on. Not sure what I'll do with the glass when I extend it though. I guess put it up in my room.

You've been so helpful!