SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
krissie55

Sewing machines donated to quilt group

krissie55
15 years ago

Just had to share with you. A lady donated 10 sewing machines to our church quilt group, from her mother-in-law's estate. We make charity quilts for Mission Arlington.

I was able to find church funds to pay for servicing the machines.

The machines are all metal, very heavy. Here are the brands:

Singer Model ?

Singer Futura

Singer Model 459 (could not be fixed)

Singer Model ?

Necchi Model ?

Nelco Model ?

Deluxe Percision Model ?

New Home (could not be fixed)

Wards Signature Model ?

Joske Model ?

Will search machines later to find possible model numbers.

These are old simple zig zag machines. They had been stored for many years in an outside building and the dirt was thick on them. I cleaned the machines, oiled all working parts, but, most of them were locked, oil did not phase them. The local sewing machine repair shop had mercy on us and serviced the machines for a reasonable fee. They were able to get 8 out of the 10 working. I told them if they could not fix them to purr like a kitten they would not be worth anything to us. They did a super job! If you had seen the machines in the beginning you would have thought it hopeless. I donated the two non-working machines to Mission Arlington for scrap metal or for someone to use as a boat anchor!!

We plan on teaching young girls to sew small quilts this summer.

There were no instruction books, however, I think I can adjust most of them if needed. In case I need instructions maybe some of you will be able to help.

My job now is to check each machine out, put notes on each as to which direction to thread the needle, etc. Basically I believe threading American machines is from right to left and those made in Japan is from left to right. Don't think any of the machines thread from front to back. Have not checked them out since having them serviced a week ago (been out of town).

I found instructions on a couple of the machines on the internet. If anyone has URLs for instructions please let me know.

We decided to teach girls to sew and had only one sewing machine. God does provide! Depending on how many girls we have they may still have to share machines.

Krissie

Comments (6)