SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zipdee

Please help me name my 'chicken cottage'

zipdee
14 years ago

I'm thinking about making a sign to hang on the front of the "chicken cottage/potting shed" , so I've been trying to come up with a fun name for it. I'd love to hear suggestions if you guys have any.

Here's the original post on it and Susan thank you for the kind message :)

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/decor/msg0507364616743.html

Here's a new picture taken between rain storms today .. with all the rain we've been having the window boxes are filling in quick. I hope the grass I killed out here working starts to catch up!

I think the only place I have to work with putting a sign up would be on the screened run area, or do you guys think I could squeeze one on the coop with out it looking to crowded?

The name doesn't have to pertain to chickens, but if someone has a neat idea with the chickens involved I'd love to hear it! I have a potting shed in here and my windowboxes are filled with herbs.

Just a gratuitous shot of my helper in these matters. Some of you will remember Miss Daisy Mae, Chicken Hound Extraordinaire. ;)

Her expression says it all .. What's up with these dumb birds .. the whole shaboodal should be named after MOI! She's not sure if really she signed on to be a chicken farmer. :P

Comments (55)

• lesmis
    14 years ago

Maison Poulet

Daisy Mae's Cluckin' Shack

The Hen House

Finger Lickin' Chicken Cottage (ok this one is just wrong)

Hen Pecked Cottage

The Little Red Hen Cottage

Chicken Little Cottage (or The Sky is Falling Cottage)

Cracked Egg Cottage

Night Roost Cottage

Cock a doodle Doo Cottage

Kat :)

• suero
    14 years ago

The Harvard Coop

• Related Discussions

Can you please help me name my plant?

Q

Comments (2)
    Can you post a picture from another angle? It might make some of the details a little easier to see. FataMorgana
    ...See More

Just for Fun! Help me Name My Farm :)

Q

Comments (79)
    Since you have so many plans and dreams, maybe something like Dreamy Acres or Dreamland Woods? or Hopes and Dreams Hollow (Hopes n Dreams Hollow). But you don't want it to sound like your hopes and dreams are hollow (not coming to fruition). OMG, I just looked at this definition ! (warning, if I ever name my place I may use this word, but I will only be in the south, north too cold for me): Fruition: fru÷i÷tion noun 1. the point at which a plan or project is realized. "the plans have come to fruition sooner than expected" fulfillment, realization, actualization, materialization, achievement, attainment, accomplishment, resolution; More 2. literary the state or action of producing fruit.
    ...See More

My Name Is John And I Cannot Fry Chicken

Q

Comments (76)
    "-----Hrmm Pressure Fryer sounds like something I bet Dcarch could make.--" As a matter of fact I had converted a regular pressure cooker into a pressure fryer. But i will not give that much details because it can be very dangerous if you don't have the required understanding of what can happen. First you need to modify the pressure "giggler" to allow for lower pressure built up. Then all gasket material will need to be of material which can withstand around 400F. I even changed the handles to all metal. An oil fire is a very dangerous fire, the cooking should be done outdoors. I am happy with the end results of regular frying, it is not worth the trouble to pressure fry. dcarch
    ...See More

please help me find chicken in crosswalk rug -Joes Bar

Q

Comments (5)
    I responded to your post in the towel pig thread but I don't know if you ever saw it... I have a painting of that exact image you're talking about, which I bought on my honeymoon. The artist is still selling it as a print on his website. It's not a rug, but maybe you could e-mail him and ask if he's done rugs? Here is a link that might be useful: Chickens in Crosswalk
    ...See More
  • patricianat
    14 years ago

Le Pluck & Poulet

le jardin et le poulet logent

• jojoco
    14 years ago

Chicken Pot Pie
    (I can see a whimsically painted sign)
    Jo

• huggybear_2008
    14 years ago

OKAY
    " ZIPDEE'S FLOWER BED AND BREAKFAST"

By the way I love it , so cute and you guys did a great job..

HUGGY

• scarlet_morgan
    14 years ago

Daisey's Bed and Breakfast
    Daisey's Hen House
    Daisey's Shack
    Chicken In A Penthouse

• teacats
    14 years ago

A page of Fowl Humor:

Jan

Here is a link that might be useful: Why did the chicken cross the road? Various answers

• scarlet_morgan
    14 years ago

A few more.... (some borrowed from other sites, some thought up)

Daisey's Palace

Daisey and The Shabby Chic Chicks

Red Roost Inn

Hen Haven

Cluckingham Palace

The Hen Haus

The Hen Den

Fowl Territory

Peeps Palace

The Rooster Resort

Fair Feathered Friends Resort

The Egg Plant

Best Little Hen House In.....

• Pieonear
    14 years ago

Hen and Hound

• DLM2000-GW
    14 years ago

Over Easy (but that only references one type of boarder)
    Hare & Hen (to give Babbit due credit)
    Babbit (or Jabba) & Chicks
    O C H & J Ltd.

• User
    14 years ago

Oh, I love "Henpecked Cottage!"

;-D

• mimi_2006
    14 years ago

Feather Hut
    Hen Hovel
    Chicken Chalet
    Flowers and Fowl

• jojoco
    14 years ago

L'aubergine (the eggplant in French)

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

"Chicken Chalet"

Or, Chick Chalet (similar to the fast food Chick-Fil-A)

• abundantblessings
    14 years ago

zip, I'm so glad you referenced the original post as I had missed it.
    How delightfulful!!!

You have some great suggestions already, but if you like 3-dimensional folk art, I can see making 3 egg shaped boards painted pastels with Olive's Garden, Clover's Patch, and Good Witch Hazel scrolled in the eggs. If Jabba wouldn't mind his name in an egg, you could add one with Jabba's Hut. Or paint a cottage on a board with Jabba's Hut centered in the cottage and put the 3 eggs underneath.

• jojoco
    14 years ago

The Pick n Peck

• suero
    14 years ago

• sweeby
    14 years ago

How about that legendary Texas institution, the

Chicken Ranch

Haw, Haw, Haw

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

Clucking Cottage
    Chicken Scratch Inn
    Chicken Feed Cottage
    Chicken Bunnies Cottage

• kelpmermaid
    14 years ago

Chez Poulet
    Henchanted Cottage
    The Roost

• kitchentime
    14 years ago

Fort Brawks
    clutch huts
    hotwings hotel
    breeders coop
    the eggshack
    mini coop
    cottage coop
    little girls room
    city biddy hen house
    fresh eggs

Most are from this link http://www.backyardchickens.com/coopdesigns.html

Here is a link that might be useful: backyardchickens.comhttp

• seasandsand
    14 years ago

Chick Inn

• Ideefixe
    14 years ago

My Old Kentucky Fried Home

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

I vote for Hen pecked Cottage too.

The speckled egg Inn
    The Cracked Egg
    Chicken Little Inn
    The Red Hen

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

Dumpling Cottage as in chicken and dumplings heh heh. good thing chickens can't read. well I am hungry time for breakfast.

• zipdee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow, what a creative and talented bunch of people we have here! I'm very impressed with all the witty, pretty, catchy and fun names everyone has come up with. These are awesome, thank you all so much and please keep them coming if anyone else would like to join in.

I seriously wish I was as fast as RenoFan with turn around time on projects! :) Hopefully I can narrow down and pick from this great list and make something up soon though.

Jan .. the chicken jokes were great :)

DLM .. we can only have a max of four hens here in town and no roosters are allowed. Although I've heard roosters crowing before when I've been different places in town, so I don't think unless someone complains they enforce the law. For our neighbors sakes though, we opted out on a rooster. I really just was interested in the fresh eggs .. plus the neat experiance of raising the chickens with the girls, they've had a ball with it. We can't wait until they start laying and to see what color eggs each hen lays. I built a huge compost bin, so when I clean out their house and run everything goes in it, so we should have some awesome soil to garden with next year. If all goes how I'd like it to, I'd love to have a small, cute greenhouse put up by next year and start raising our own organic veggies. :)

• DLM2000-GW
    14 years ago

Zip take this with a grain of salt - remember that I've spent almost all my life 35 miles from downtown Chicago! However we used to take our boys to an old fashioned diversified farm for vacations in WI and they told me that in the absence of a rooster, a hen (or two) will often take on the crowing role! Maybe that's what you've heard in your area. You will have the best soil - my grandfather was a fab gardener and he swore by chicken manure to sweeten the soil. Wonderful lessons and memories you're creating for your girls!

• bungalow_house
    14 years ago

Wow, you guys are creative! I like Maison Poulet.

Your house is a bungalow, so how about the Bantam Bungalow?

Cluckingham Palace...that's too funny.

• lesmis
    14 years ago

Ok, I clearly need a job which requires more of my time but here are a few more.

Coop-sie Daisy (in honor of your cute doggie of course)

Pecking Order Inn

Dixie Chicks (you are in the south right?)

Kat :)

• sweeby
    14 years ago

I love all of these clever names!
    Makes me want a chicken coop, just so I can name it!

(I like Chez Poulet myself)

• bronwynsmom
    14 years ago

Too funny, all of you!
    I'm loving Coop de Ville, Chickenham Palace, Chick Inn, City Biddy House, Chez Poulet...
    Or how about The Potted Hen, or The Fowl and Trowel...

• ladyamity
    14 years ago

I'm chuckling so much at all these names...you all are so creative!

Personally, I'd love your new coop...as I could live in it myself quite comfortably...it's just magnificent!

My Question:
    Are you thinking about creating one name for both rooms or two seperate names?

I wondered if you are going to hang a sign on a chain from the eves of the cottage just above the carriage doors and then another with different name from the eve of the coop?

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

ROFL! I just love "Cluckingham Palace." Long as you don't plan on eating any of them, it sure is, too!

• kitchentime
    14 years ago

NEST EGG...to save a little money each week

• bluekitobsessed
    14 years ago

Now Laying (movie marquee style name)
    Peep Show

Or, if you want to get risque, The Cock and Poulet

Medea at three days old:

Nineteen days old:

And one month old:

• maozamom NE Ohio
    14 years ago

I'm watching this thread with interest. I have an old hen house that we've converted into a potting shed and I'd love to find a good name for it.

mao

From Chick coop

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

"Hounds and Chicks"
    Play on words like the Hens and Chicks - the plant, and the chicks could be your daughters or your feathered chicks.
    Daisy Mae looks spectacular!! Your family did a good!! What a sweetheart.

• patricianat
    14 years ago

le coq en la jardin
    le coq et les poulets
    les fleurs et le poulets

• bebetokids
    14 years ago

Definitely:

The Lucky Clucky

• zipdee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm in total agreement, you all are so creative! These names are outstanding and to tell you the truth I'm having a hard time choosing. Every time I think I narrow it down to a favorite few, I read over the list and wow, it's so hard to pick just one. I read some of these off to the girls as they were getting ready for school this morning and they were loving the names you all come up with too. We might need to each narrow down a favorite, then draw the winner from a hat.

DLM .. Yes, I have heard that in absence of a rooster, one of the hens will become dominate and lead the flock. Also that it's not unheard of for the dominate hen to start crowing and for their combs to grow bigger than the rest of the hens. From what I've read chicken manure is considered 'hot' and bunny manure is 'cold', so I think with the blend of the two, add in the pine shavings as a brown, plus household stuff and yard clipping and additional browns .. I hopefully should get a pretty good mix. The girls are very excited to start a big veggie garden next year, they are all into the greenhouse too, I think it will end up as a very fun family project.

Amity .. I was thinking of making only one sign, but I'm not sure where the best place to put it will be yet. On the coop/cottage hanging from the eves like you said, or on the run part.

Squirrelheaven .. I know a lot of people when their hens stop laying, they go into the stew pot. Since we've raised these guys from tiny fuzz - balls, played with them, given them names .. I don't think any of us could eat them. I could only imagine the fuss and tears involved even talking about it would cause. :)

Bluekitobessed .. Medea is such a cutie! Do you guys have any more chicks? It's really fun watching them grow, isn't it?

Mao tse mom .. your hen house converted to potting shed is adorable. I hope you find a great name for it!

Magothyrivergirl .. thanks! Daisy seems to really enjoy being part of the dog 'herd' we have going here. She's come a long, long way from being the emaciated dumped off puppy mill breeder my DH brought home. She now heart worm free and she's been spayed. We sadly had to have quite a few of her rotten teeth removed .. but she does fine on wet food and seems much healthier with the bad teeth gone. She seems very happy to have a new life and people that give her attention. She's my back yard helper, if I'm out there, so is she .. snoozing in the sunshine of course. ;) She's living out the rest of her years in retirement and seems very content to do so. :)

• laurenk88_pa
    14 years ago

Chez Poulet

• yborgal
    14 years ago

I'm late to contribute, but what about "Seeds and Feeds"?

• sillymesillyne
    14 years ago

Love your sweet cottage and the names given, so far, are great. I think it would be neat to make the sign appear as a real house sign. Quite a few of my neighbors have them. Anyway,

Cottage Name
    est. 2009
    501 Bunnykins Lane

Doesn't have to be Bunnykins... could even be the name of your street. The cottage name could use the chickies and the bunny and it would be very sweet to name the street Daisy Mae Lane. Lucky dog!

Good luck, I so want to see the first eggs.

Silly

• oceanna
    14 years ago

Sorry to be late on this fun thread. Just to complicate the selection process (?), how about:

Daisy May's Banty Shanty
    Daisy May's Chick Chalet
    Daisy May's Hen Den
    Chickery Dickery Dock (better if your bunny was named Dickery or Doc)
    Hennybunkport
    The Clutch Hutch
    Biddy City & Rabbit Habit
    Chick n Rabbitat
    The Slick Chick Clique
    The Eggstruder
    Beaky Barn
    Eggtropolis
    Hen Pen
    Hen Den
    Peckingham Palace
    The Egg Keg
    The Chick-Inn
    The Pentacoop
    The Happy Hen Hut
    The Polutry Pantry
    The Cackle Shack
    The Coopola
    The Queendom of Eggtopia
    The Egg Plant
    Biddy Bungalow
    Cirque de Poulet

Or maybe something including your last name, or city, or nearby stream, lake or mountain?

• oceanna
    14 years ago

Here is a cute sign:

This one is adorable and wouldn't be hard to make with a jigsaw:

There is a gal who sells stuff she paints on eBay and I keep thinking of her when I see your coop, Zipdee...

Here is a link to one of her auctions. You can click on her feedback and go back and look at the pictures of all the stuff she's done. I think it's adorable and she's quite talented. Maybe she would do a sign for you?

• zipdee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so much for the addition of all the great names!

Sillyme .. making it look like a house sign is a very neat idea.

Oceanna .. the pictures of the signs and toleware are wonderful, thank you for posting them for me! I went to her e-bay auctions and enlarged the pictures, she's using the 'one - stroke' method. I'm pretty sure with a little practice on my part I could do the same thing. I used the same method when I painted a flower garden mural in the girl's bedroom when they were smaller. It a lot of fun to learn.

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

I found a new favorite- The Coopola! good one Oceana!(and not just because it could for my Cooper's house :) I think its a great name.

• oceanna
    14 years ago

Cooper - lol! That one would be great for you.

Zipdee, oh goody, you saw them! I was afraid because I was late in posting this you wouldn't see it. If you can do one-stroke (I do it too) then there's no reason you shouldn't be able to turn out some adorable signs and objects d' art for your coop.

I keep a bucket on top of my fridge for dog food. Yesterday I bought a bright red metal bucket for that and I think I'll do something similar on it. I need to go to the goodwill and look for a bread box and paint it up to match the bucket. I've been wanting a bread box for a while, now.

• zipdee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oceanna .. I'd love to see your metal bucket after you get done painting it.

I looked through the one stroke stuff I have here and I do not have the geranium, rooster or hen. Do you have them in any of your things? If so, could you please let me know what book they were in.

I've also thought about trying my hand at a mosaic sign. I've seen a few things done incorporating chickens and they were so cute.

• tinalee56
    14 years ago

I'm sure this is to late~

One Blue Egg...

www.cherryhillcottage.typepad.com