SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
redpenny_gw

Remeber these another Quilt for Kids quilt pic

redpenny
16 years ago

I never could find out what ever happen to the little girl who's mother was killed so I used these blocks to make another quilt for kids............now my question is what color of border or would you leave it like that? I am going to be doing birthing method. Right now it measures 44X44 the 45x55 is the popular size so I would have to add at least 5" to the Top and Bottom ...the maximum size is 50x55" so I thought perhaps 2" border on the sides but what color?

Red

Comments (23)

• Islay_Corbel
    16 years ago

What about the fabrics used in the bow ties to make a border?

• laurainsdca
    16 years ago

Hey, I was just thinking about those the other day and thinking you should use them for one of these quilts. I stumbled across a picture of the bear I made and noticed I had two of the triangles turned the wrong way! (I wanted to say send the bear back so I can fix it!!! LOL.)

Anyhow -- the top looks cute -- some child will really love it.

• vicky4x4
    16 years ago

What about finishing the blocks on the sides for the border? So you end up with whole blocks instead of half. But it looks great the way it is. Another smile on a little person's face!

Vic

• redpenny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Laura,
    I was wondering whose block that was LOL hehehehe I have taken that above top apart 3 times already if you notice in the middle of the quilt there is 1 block a little larger
    but I have everything else matched........... I am going to use yours all my by it's self.............
    I thought of that too Vicki.
    Red

• lizzy3_27
    16 years ago

Red, That is so cute. I like Islay's idea of using colors from the bow ties. How DO you get so much done?

Liz

• new2quilting
    16 years ago

I was thinking the same as islay, to use one of the bowtie colors as border, maybe the red so it's good for a girl or boy. I think it's pretty the way it is, but a little extra framing from a border could really make it pop! Those bears are really cute. Where did you find the pattern? --Amy

• biwako_of_abi
    16 years ago

It's awfully cute. I "third"--or whatever number it is--Islay's suggestion!

• scraphappy
    16 years ago

I wondered what happened to the bears - I think mine is the one with the red bowtie - not sure. What an excellent idea to finish it up for Quilt for Kids! Maybe a kid's print that has the bowtie colors in it.

• redpenny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Amy,
    here is the pattern below I may do the border like on page 4
    I think I am goig to do a black and white mini poka dot.
    I jut have to break down the sizes for the border,,,,,,,,,,,,LOL I find the directions a little confusing....for the cutting directions........
    Red

Here is a link that might be useful: Bear Block

• glassquilt
    16 years ago

That was a fun block to make. I'm glad you have found something to do with the blocks.

• coalaska
    16 years ago

Very cute blocks!

Cheryl

• laurainsdca
    16 years ago

Red, if you find their cutting instructions confusing (and who wouldn't...) you might consider just doing your own measurements from looking at it -- just add the seam allowance, and for the HST's remember "Finished size plus 7/8" for the squares you cut.

I think it would be really cute to carry those stars out into the border - and would make it a little bigger.

• grammyp
    16 years ago

Red, they look great. How many did you end up with? Do you have any fabric with teddy bears on it for a border? I don't remember which I used for the bow tie or I would gladly send some. A narrow black border may look nice too.

beverly

• Woodsy
    16 years ago

that is soo cute! I like all the ideas given for the borders..so I'm NO help at all! Does the one in the top left have a face on it?
    Lynn in PA

• redpenny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes it does Lynn

• redpenny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

5 beverly I am going to try to do the border like the pattern on the site and I am going to use black and white poka dot border I am going to try to decifer the instructions....
    I dont have any teddie bear fabric.....but that would make a cute backing that one square being off is bugging me I took the quilt apart 3 times and pinned the heck out out of it but the 1 block is just a little larger and if I trim it then the sides will be off........I have to figure out how I am going to quilt this............I am also thinking maybe I should of did quilt as you go with these and just outlined the bears anyone have any suggestions...........
    Red

• laurainsdca
    16 years ago

Red,

Is this what is off that is bothering you? (If it's not, uh... Sorry to point it out, LOL.) 'cause the outside edges look perfectly square to me.

If it is, have you considered not just taking the blocks apart where you sewed them, but taking the bottom row on the top Left bear apart about to where my red arrow is, and then moving the black square in the intersection I circled to the left 1/4 inch (or however far it needs to go to match the one below it)? Seems that would pull everything in that top row to the left a smidge.

And then remember (I'm sure you know this already) but if you're trying to "ease" a larger piece in -- bubble on the bottom.

{{!gwi}}

• redpenny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes laura,
    That is it! One block is larger as you see all the squares and stars points match....I took it apart 3 times. I am going to take it apart 1 more time cause it really is bugging me LoL!

Red

• kathi_mdgd
    16 years ago

You have 4 bears and 4 colors of bowties,how about doing one border of each of those 4 colors,or is that what Islay meant??
    Kathi

• laurainsdca
    16 years ago

Once something starts bugging you it is hard to "just let it go" -- I got REAL GOOD and taking things apart when I did my kaleidoscope quilt. (Even literally put darts in a couple blocks to get it to match right!)

I noticed you have the four corners of blocks in the center perfectly matched -- the little muslin squares. I would let that intersection go as far askew as I needed to to get the black parts lined up. Since the muslin is roughly the same color it's really "one square" in the center -- IMO, matching it's points is not important. Where as the black/white intersections jump out at you.

I would get those black squares matched up and sewn together. (Taking at least the one in like I suggested above) THEN, if I had a significant difference in size between the top and bottom muslin pieces in the center, I'd take the one that is larger and tighten its seam up -- Go up higher - maybe right below where the black starts and resew the seam angling inward ever so slightly so that by the time I reach the bottom my seam allowance is more than 1/4 inch -- I've sewn at an angle.

Too extreme an angle and it won't lie flat but I think you can get away with enough to take up the slack. And once it's quilted who will know?!

Clear as mud?!

• Islay_Corbel
    16 years ago

Yes, Kathi. I thought 4 colours in the borders would be fun for a kid.

• redpenny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

fixed pic

• glassquilt
    16 years ago

What a great solution!

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor