SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cosmocat_gw

wood floor + refinish - replace = snowball

cosmocat
14 years ago

Hello All~

The kitchen debate continues...not that the layout is 100% but throw in the mix of the wood floor, to replace or refinish.

We have a 25-ear old house with oak wood floors in the kitchen, hallway and entry (my guess is these floors are original to the home). Orange wood floors. They are in decent shape. So, the living room and dining room are currently floorless (meaning I ripped up the molding pet destroyed 25-year old carpet 2 years ago and painted Kilz on the existing plywood underfloor. And have lived with the painted plywood in hopes of redoing the kitchen and the floors at the same time.

Now that the kitchen is almost ready for remodel we consider the flooring. However, if I'm doing a major remodel part of me wants what I want! So do I keep the existing 2 1/4 inch oak floor, refinish to whatever color I want and pick whatever cabinets I want and save $$$. Or do I go with the exotic walnut like wood floors (acacia wood by Kentwood or other manuf.) prefinished and harder than oak that I LOVE and the walnut cabinets that I LOVE (I like to be different) and spend more $$$. If I replace I would also add tile to the entry way. Total wood floor sq. footage is ~ 1000.

What questions do I ask myself to answer this dilema?

TIA!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional