SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
herus_gw

Realtor value in the age of low inventory, high demand

herus
10 years ago

The situation above is what seems to be prevalent in our neck of the woods. Highly desirable school district coupled with well-priced property in good condition (yes I know those two qualifiers are critical) and the offers are rolling in.

As we get ready to list our home, am wondering if a full-service realtor would bring enough value. We sold our last home via a discount service and got to keep nearly all of the standard 6% commission. Even 3% is a good chunk of change.

I agree that they will do a lot of things, yet wonder if it is worth that much. I know it's an age-old question, been discussed ad infinitum, etc. But thought I'd get an updated view, given the current market conditions.

Our home will be well priced though not necessarily agressively so. It is in excellent condition and is one of only a few lake homes in a predominantly non-lake community. I plan to price it about 10% more than the sale price of a recent non-lake property, which arguably was in better condition as it was a full gut and re-do (ours is just nicely updated, with several major upgrades along the way. These upgrades are a few years old vs brand new but still in good condition).

The decision is not a slam dunk. We've studied the pros and cons deeply (time vs money, effort, etc) and are still on the fence. Thought I'd get some crowd-think going.

Comments (10)