SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mahatmacat1

update on disaster restoration paint colors

mahatmacat1
16 years ago

Hey,

Just thought I'd share where we are in deciding on paint colors...

First the big news: there is a Benjamin Moore Aura *exterior* paint now! We sampled some in semi-gloss and it *rocks*. It goes on like an intense fondant icing, is the best I can describe it. And it dries super fast, even in a dark dark color (the trim). I can't recommend it highly enough. Can't wait to paint the door :)

Now the *color* itself is something I'm still working on. The original Aura color sample (silhouette) turned out to be too light for me; I'm either going to have it darkened or have a sample of another color I had made darkened. still working on the trim.

The Sandy Hook Grey showed up as washed out on our house, so I went back and got 50% more colorant in it; it looks better, but still somewhat wispy, so I'm going to go back Monday and get the second 50% to make it a total of 200% formula to see what we get there. The general tone of the color is perfect for what we want, though. So we've got that and the red for the door, just need the exact right trim and we're set.

And after considering the next door colors, turns out our neighbors are painting their house in a few weeks! They were the barn red house; they're going for a blue green. I showed them how different the S.H. Gray looks on an actual wall, so they tried their choice, a somewhat pastel-ish green (will be a big change) on their wall (over primer) and really didn't like it.

So nothing is simple, but with luck it will work out. I'll post a pic of the final color choices before we buy in volume (now seems that if we go with the contractor we like, he can't work us in until late June--which is actually fine with me, I don't want someone who's really available). Thanks so much to the photoshop goddesses of the HD forum :)

Comments (6)