SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
careers4u

Help! Caught between pool and decking contractors

careers4u
16 years ago

Our brand new pool was filled last Thursday. It is lovely, but we have a problem. The decking company who poured our stamped concrete deck did not use the tile guards that come with the forms. They claim they never use them and they've been in business 30 years with no issues, etc. So, I asked the pool company to caulk the deck when they came out to do the clean-up before pebble. The pool company claimed that the deck was poured too close to the tile for them to caulk. In most places it is about 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch, but closer to 1/8 inch between the cantilever edge and the tile. I know that the decking company put plastic between the deck and the bond beam, so the deck does float, but there is no barrier to keep water out between the deck and the tile.

When the construction manager for the pool builder came out to take a look, he said he wouldn't repour the deck if it was his job. Rather, he might chisel out a larger space and then caulk it. He couldn't say whether the tile will come off or not. But, they still didn't caulk the joint.

Our problem is that we elected not to use the pool company for the deck for several reasons and feel they may be making more of this than need be. However, we need to get that joint caulked. Are they just trying to get out of honoring their warranty? The deck company says if the tile falls off after this winter, they will pay to have it replaced. We paid so much money for this pool and I am sick not having it done correctly. Do I just caulk the joint myself at this point? Please help!

Kim

Comments (6)