SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
harriethomeowner_gw

Basic backsplash questions

harriethomeowner
15 years ago

This is probably a dumb question, but how, on a practical level, do you go about picking out a backsplash? That is, say I plan to visit a tile shop to pick out materials, and I want to do it in one trip. What should I bring with me? Something like --

Sample of countertop material

Cabinet door

Drawing of kitchen with dimensions and notes about placement of plugs and switches

Anything else?

Also, how do you work around plugs in the backsplash in the design? I was hoping to put at least one nice decorative element but not sure how to incorporate it with four oddly placed plugs/switches. We're going to have the tile person put in new outlets so they all match, at least, and are aligned. Are there ways of handling this? Any recommendations for outlet covers? Can they be matched to tile?

My next dumb question will be about picking out flooring ...

Comments (40)

• muscat
    15 years ago

I took a piece of cabinet wood, a piece of granite, a bit of paint color, a camera, diagram of the layout, and a notepad. I guess I would have taken a floor sample too, but that was not picked out yet.

I would not know how to answer your outlet question, as I just did my tile the way I wanted it, and cut the tile when I got to an outlet. I dont know that it is an issue you need to address when picking tile unless the pattern will somehow be affected greatly by outlets.

• mom2reese
    15 years ago

Between you and muscat, I think it's covered what you should bring along.

re: the outlets, is an electrician in your remodel budget/plans? If yes, you may want to consider switching to plugmold strips that mount underneath your cabinet.

• Related Discussions

Backsplash or no Backsplash.

Q

Comments (27)
    yep that's my kitchen. Sorry it's not in your budget, but gpraceman does have a good idea about granite tiles. I have seen these used in place of granite slabs for the counter, when a budget dictated it. "To Me", they did not look that bad. I had to redo the area of the granite where the cook top is, due to a bad choice I made about cooktops, a 36" semi-circle Caldera. It died in about a year and the company went broke, so I had to replace it with a rectangular induction cooktop, Hence the granite rework. Well I could find Granite remnants (Arandis Gold) for next to nothing, (I paid about $75 for a little less than a half slab. So you may be able to do that too, and then have it cut to sizes you want for the tile, myself, the bigger the better, and the less grout lines. Thanks for your kind words about my kitchen, it is pretty unique, and as we tell folks here, Do what makes you happy, after all, it's your kitchen. For those of you that do like tiles and grout, that's great, as long as it's what you want, and you're not following others or doing what you "Think", might help sell the house later. Gary
    ...See More

Backsplash on top of granite 4in backsplash

Q

Comments (3)
    Most times we do not apply a spacer there, we use the backsplash as a support. But make sure this is level before doing this, otherwise you will have uneven tile at the wall cab! Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Remodeling Chicago
    ...See More

Backsplash? No backsplash? What kind of backsplash?

Q

Comments (25)
    didn't have time to read all the answers. I have no backsplash and have never regretted it...been over 6 yrs. It is painted with BM matte...which has ceramic in it. It is as beautiful now as it was when first painted. I love the fact that I can showcase other things ...art etc in my kitchen and no competition. Also if I ever want to change it is as quick as a paint brush...expense is minimal..paint only ! All in all I think it is serene as you point out . Here is one pick. Since I have a lot of high heat cooking in my kitchen..built in deep fat fryer as well as gas cook top I can definitely speak to the longevity of paint only. c ( more at this album )
    ...See More

Backsplash or no backsplash

Q

Comments (20)
    So tired of hearing " but that will make it look dated" or "it wouldn't be good for resale" Everything is going to be dated at some point, the kitchen designers, cabinet companies and appliance companies make sure of that. Example: stainless steel appliances were just coming on the market 15 years ago when we gutted our kitchen for a remodel. It was hard for me to find stainless in my area at that time, I live in a small mid western town. So, have you noticed in the past few years appliance companies have been trying to bring out new colors, grayed looking stainless, now ice white etc. they are trying to make people think their stainless appliances are soon going to be "dated". But I have read in several articles that stainless is still the number one choice. I chose a cinnamon stained cherry wood for our new build. I thought about white because that is the trend right now, but I reasoned cherry cabinets will always be in style while the white trend Has just a few more years. I won't be a slave to trends. Just my opinion.
    ...See More
  • alku05
    15 years ago

I really recommend that you make it a 2-trip process. Bring your samples with you and find a couple options you like. Most tile stores will let you bring home samples of those tiles so you can see them in your own kitchen with it's lighting vs the store's lighting.

I picked my backsplash using samples in the tile store, but in my kitchen, the tile color is a near miss that looks a bit akward. Of course I didn't see that until my nonrefundable tile was delivered! I regret not bringing home a sample and seeing it with my whole counter in my own kitchen.

• caryscott
    15 years ago

It's been a while, it's finally is going in tomorrow. Cabinet finish, paint and counter top sample. I checked the catalogue on-line and made a short list based on price point (good thing to as the product my Mom chose was discontinued and they had pulled the sample out of their displays). They were able to give us a sample so she could take it home and think about it. We ended up buying it through a retailer who the showroom supplies so we got a 10% discount. Don't forget to select your grout.

• muscat
    15 years ago

oh, wow, yeah, I'd have to add that I CANNOT see it being a one-trip endeavor. I did not mention that- sorta didn't think to comment, but I must have made 10+ trips out, and had various tile samples sitting around to be looked at in the kitchen in different lights, different moods, for a LONG TIME. I was thrilled when I narrowed my choices down to about 3 from 15, but I'm admittedly a little neurotic about making decisions quickly.

I'm getting married in 6 weeks, and cant pick a band!

• sgoldfield
    15 years ago

Our contractor suggested rotating the outlets so they were sideways. Not sure if that would help your design but at least you wouldn't be moving the location much. One suggestion after you are done with the tile, take the tile sample with you to select switch and outlet cover colors. Nothing looks worse than the cheap white ones interrupting a beautiful dark color backsplash. You see it in pictures all the time tho!

• sweeby
    15 years ago

"...and I want to do it in one trip."

Bwa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha (gasp!)

Good luck with that --

• harriethomeowner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I can always dream, can't I? :)

How about two trips?

• charlikin
    15 years ago

One trip??? I thought I did pretty well on the backsplash timeline - I think it only took me about three weeks from when I really got started on it. That three weeks encompassed *lots* of visits to various tile stores. Much better than the five intensive weeks it took me to choose my bathroom tile. ;-)

Though, speaking post-mortem, I wished I'd taken more time. I like my backsplash tile, but I'm not crazy in love with it, and there was this store I encountered late in the process that I wished I'd spent more time in... Uh, whatever. Too late now. (Moral of the story: take your time!)

Anyway, bring a digital camera. Yes, they give you sample tiles, but it's nice to take pictures of the sample boards too so you can remember what it all looks like in a bigger space and with grout.

One more note regarding the one-trip. My contractor told me a story (which I would have assumed was apocryphal except that I actually met the woman) of a customer who went to the cabinet store and, in a single trip, ordered her cabinets, pulls, sink, faucet, countertop... tile? No, she bought the tile somewhere else. Probably also in a single trip. She just walked in, looked at the displays, and said, "That one's nice. Let's do that."

So stranger things have happened. ;-)

• harriethomeowner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The contractor we are using rather wistfully asked me if perhaps I'd like a full granite backsplash. Would be easier, for sure, but I don't like the look -- at least, not in this kitchen.

• harriethomeowner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

might be possible because I don't think I will be getting anything really complicated. Between the grainy oak cabinets and the patterned granite, the backsplash will have to be simple.

I was kind of hoping I could gather up some alternatives, bring home samples, pick one out, and then tell the tile guy to order what he needs to do the job.

• User
    15 years ago

Ah lets see, so far I've been to the tile store so many times, they all know me by name, and run when they see me coming! Just kidding! But all jokes aside, forget one trip, don't even put a limit on the trips. Better instead to take your time, and find something you can love and live with for the many years to come!

• momorichel
    15 years ago

Ok, so everyone's process is different - but let's just say that I might as well have MOVED IN to the tile store for the last couple of weeks, re: flooring. 'Nuff said.

momo

• harriethomeowner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh, flooring. Haven't gotten to that, yet.

• hmsweethm
    15 years ago

I kind of have to echo Sweeby's very succinct answer to you about picking out a backsplash in one trip. Practically speaking, harriet, it sounds like you might need to take a step back and do some basic homework before you even go to a tile store. Don't know what time constraints you are under, but why don't you sit down with a bunch of home magazines and just study study study what others have done -- or better yet, look at the backsplashes you can view on this forum. Then you can start narrowing down some basic things, like do you want a decorative design behind your stove? Do you want tile? Do you want the same material as your counter? Do you want glass tile or marble or travertine or or or...? Do you want the same color as your counter or do you want contrast? There are so many questions to answer before you even walk into a store, because if you haven't answered them, then it's certainly going to take you many trips to that same store before you decide. Good luck to you. I found it an overwhelming task to decide on a backsplash, but in the end really rewarding, the way any artistic or decorative endeavor is.

• harriethomeowner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Update on backsplash search ...

So far I've been to three places (two big box stores and one big tile chain store), with granite and cabinet sample in hand.

I brought home a few samples but don't like any of them.

I'd like to try going to a more upscale tile place that offers more help. It's hard to find the time, but I think it might be a good idea just to see more options. I don't want to go too cheap on the tile just to save a few bucks when the materials are not the biggest expense anyway.

• rowen_realtor
    15 years ago

harriet,

I see you're in MD. We visited Architectural Ceramics in Falls Church (they have an outlet in Rockville), which had tons of stuff inhouse, on the walls, etc. In fact, we went in a totally different direction, and are ecstatic. We're all excited to see the final backsplash in place. Our consultant, Melissa couldn't have been more helpful, especially after we chose the tile.

• steff_1
    15 years ago

Recommend you check the Finished Kitchens Blog for ideas first. Try to get a general idea of what you like and don't like. If you narrow down a little bit, it will be less overwhelming. There are so many options.

The backsplash is such an important element in most kitchens, I can't imagine doing it in one trip unless you let the tile shop staff do it for you. I've been working on mine for several months, mainly because I can't get the tile I like in the sizes I want.

• sailormann
    15 years ago

I guess choosing the tiles or granite or stainless or backlit onyx can be a bit daunting and time-consuming.

:)

As far as the plugs go though... you are going to be covering up the whole area again with whatever material you end up going with, so take the opportunity to open up the old drywall and put the plugs where you would like them to be. Your repair doesn't have to be beautiful, just smooth enough to cover.

• harriethomeowner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I do have a basic idea of what I want. I know I want a light color, more on the cream than on the white side, and if we use any accent pieces, I would like them to have some shine (perhaps glass or metal). Nothing too modern, and nothing representative (i.e., no flowers, animals, etc.).

I was thinking of square or subway tiles, perhaps tan (vs. gray) marble, travertine, or stone-look porcelain.

The guy who is installing the tile for us suggested the Rialto white porcelain tiles that are sold at Lowe's, but I brought some of them home today and they look too gray to me. I'll keep looking at them this week and see if they grow on me.

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

Look into Dal's Rittenhouse Square. They have a couple of different shades of white, as well as an almond colored subway tile.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dal's Rittenhouse Square

• harriethomeowner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just picked up a box of the Lansdale Carrara subway tiles from The Tile Shop. Nice stuff! I think this may be what we want. It looks so much richer and warmer than the ceramic, and we like the smooth surface better.

• happy2b…gw
    15 years ago

Hi Harriethomeowner,

I love how the GO works with your oak cabinets. Rich, creamy, and inviting! I agree the carrara tiles are warmer with the oak and granite than ceramic. Please let us know what you decide for backsplash.

I think we live in the same area. DH and I were looking at backsplashes today also but we did not get to The Tile Shop because we spent too much time in Architectural Ceramics. Too bad we may have run into each other. I wonder if GWer's send off sublimal signals that identify us to one another. Anyway, we have made lots of purchases from Tile Shop. DH always asks for a contractor's discount, 25%, and gets it. They are good about taking back leftovers also.

Do not mind sharing who you purchased the GO from and who installed it. After more than 25 trips to granite places
    (I have a very patient DH), we have finally made our choice but we are still in the negotiation process with several fabricators. I think that you can send me an personal email.

• harriethomeowner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here's another question: what's a reasonable price for tile? Our tile person seemed surprised that we were willing to spend $10 psf or more.

The marble tiles we're thinking of will cost about $430 for the the amount we need. Is that a lot? Surely there are far more expensive materials out there.

It just seems to me that if we're spending good money on the installation, we should get nice materials that we like.

Here's what the marble looks like in our kitchen:

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

I think a lot of trades people are used to folks wanting tile from lowes that costs $3 a foot, so it surprises them when someone wants to spend more to get something really nice. I don't think $10 a foot is unreasonable at all. My tumbled travertine was $6.50 a foot. I could have saved some $$ and gotten the tumbled travertine from lowes for $3 a foot, but when I compared the good stuff with the lowes stuff, there was a huge difference in quality. The accent tile I bought was $25 a foot but I didn't need a ton of it. I think I spent around $500 for my backsplash tiles. It was well worth it to me. The back splash is such a highly visible area it just makes sense to get something really nice and something you really like even if means spending more money.

• harriethomeowner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So are the subways too "trendy"? I just love the colors in these -- they seem to tie the cabinets, counters, and appliances together really well.

I did find a 4x4 ceramic tile in a nice color that would go well, but it certainly wouldn't be as rich looking as the marble. Also does not have the color variation.

• chachashea
    15 years ago

Yes, subways are trendy, but they've also been around since the early 1900s or so. The bathroom of our 1923 bungalow still has its original subway tiles and they look great. Your marble ones look great with your granite and are an update on the classic ceramic subway.

• timber.j
    15 years ago

I just have to laugh at the idea of picking a backsplash in one trip! :-) I used to work in a tile showroom, and I think backsplashes were the hardest thing for people to decide on (not to mention that all of the showroom staff wanted to run and hide in the backroom when some backsplash customers came in again, and again, and again, and again.....) Just kidding, but really, there are SO MANY options, and such a wide range of prices, that it is almost impossible to decide.
    You have already figured out that you must bring a sample home to see in your own lighting. I remember being absolutely sure that one of my favorite floor tiles would be just exactly right for the entry way in our previous house...until I brought a piece home. I was stunned that it was so "off".

I don't think subway tiles are trendy, though. I think they are in the "classic" category, but some variations or finishes of subway tiles could be considered trendy. There are so many options there, too: shiny white, handmade, polished stone, tumbled stone, glass, metallic, etc...

Are those all variations of the same tile in your picture? It looks like a nice option-what color are the walls in the rest of the kitchen going to be?

• harriethomeowner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

timber.j -- okay, go ahead and laugh at me, along with everyone else. :)

Yes, the four tiles in my picture are from the same box of tile, same type. There are 38 pieces in each box. Most seem to be in the cream-to-gold range, with a few like the one on the right.

Haven't decided on the walls. I was thinking of either a taupe/tan or perhaps a green, with the ceiling white.

• timber.j
    15 years ago

Green is always my first choice, although it isn't likely to be what works in my new kitchen/diningroom. I just think the right shade of green works so nicely with many warm wood colors. Maybe getting some paint sample might help you decide for sure on the backsplash.

• harriethomeowner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Our kitchen is so small, and there's so little wall area, that whatever paint color we choose won't be the dominant element. It's really mostly cabinets, counter, and splash. And the floor (which right now is white; haven't gotten to that yet). I was thinking of green because it might look nice with the oak.

• harriethomeowner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm just not sure about this.

One issue is what exactly will be done about the window trim. The plan is to remove all the painted trim around the windows, tile around the bottom (up to the bottom of the cabinets), and do a plain drywall edge around the top, but I don't know what the tile person has in mind for the sill. I've looked at lots of pictures, but can't quite understand how it can be done in our configuration.

The window over the sink is 3.5 inches above the counter, and the other window (a garden window) is 2.5 inches above the counter. I was thinking we'd just put some of whatever tile we use across the sill area and then tile up at a 90 degree angle (with no sill sticking out -- not necessary) to make a square corner across. Does that make sense? Will that work? I really don't like that painted wood there. It gets dirty, and it doesn't go with anything else in our house (all the trim elsewhere is stained dark wood).

FWIW, here's a picture with a few other tiles for comparison. I've pretty much ruled out the one on the left, but the one on the right (porcelain 4x4) isn't bad. The subway tile is one of the marble tiles.

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

harriet-- leave the side trim and sill, and just remove the apron (the piece below the sill). have your tile guy do his thing, and then replace the apron afterward, using construction adhesive between the apron and the tile, and then shooting a couple of finish nails thru from the top into the top of the apron. Putty the nail holes on top, repaint the sill, and WAA LAA. :-)

• harriethomeowner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bill -- the sill and the wood trim have got to go. I hate them! They were a stopgap measure to finish off the windows after our less than amazing remodel job nine years ago.

Would it really be so difficult to create a nonprotruding sill out of tile that wraps around the bottom of the window at a 90-degree angle, and then tile up to the edge of the frame on the sides?

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

So long as the installer knows what he's getting into, no, I guess not. It would definitely take some finagling, though.

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

Why replace the apron? If the windows are that close to the counter, I would just tile up to the sill. Tile the sill (actually stool) if you can.

I don't know about the marble - looks a little yellow, and there's lots of variation b/t tiles as shown in your earlier pic (other thread). I think it would compete with the granite. I like the porcelain on the right better. The one on the left is showing gray on my monitor.

• harriethomeowner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bringing this thread back up because all the pictures are here ...

We decided on the marble subways. Someone on the decorating forum did a wonderful mockup for me using photoshop:

It looks like our tile person is going to be doing the job this week. I'm just wondering what I can expect in terms of how he's going to tile around the windows. What I WANT is to have tile on the sill and either wrapping into the window frame or coming just up to the edge. But the problem is there isn't any bullnose for this type of tile. I did get some pencil edging, but I don't see how that's going to work.

I guess I'm asking here what I can reasonably expect, or if there's any solution to this.

Bill, if you're reading this, what did you mean by "some finagling"? Is it that difficult? It seems like it's a pretty common application of marble tile, especially in bathrooms.

Thanks for any advice!

• faleash
    15 years ago

Hi Harriet the Homeowner-
    I had my bathroom redone last year and my tile guy removed all my white wood window and tiled in just as you want. Not protruding, just 90 degree angles. It's awesome. Very clean and finished looking. I do have pics but I'm new here and haven't yet figured out how to post any. Sorry but hope that helps. I could maybe email you a picture??

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

Ask Bill (new thread to catch his attention?) but if it's solid marble, installer can bullnose it for you.

• harriethomeowner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I started a new thread last night but it has disappeared!

It does seem as if marble tiles can be bullnosed, but the guy we are using didn't seem enthusiastic about it. He is not enthusiastic about using stone in general -- but no one I've talked to is.

faleash, if you can email me a picture, that would be great. I think you can just click on my user name to get to an email link. Thanks.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor