SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stella526

Beginner's Machine Piecing/Quilting Questions

stella526
16 years ago

I have a Janome 4900 QC and have some questions about its use that weren't very clear in the owner's manual.

Machine applique: In the manual, it shows the machine doing a blanket stitch around a heart-shaped applique with the zig-zag foot. I assume that I have to lower the feed dogs to applique a pattern with curves. So I did that, but with the presser foot, I can't feed the fabric through at all. Also, even if I could move the fabric through, do I have to move it to the needle to position it appropriately as the blanket stitch moves on and off of the applique? I don't think my hands can move that quickly.

Threading: Certain presser feet do not have an opening in the front through which I can pull the spool thread to get it below and behind the presser foot. I can't think of the names of any of the feet off the top of my head. Do I just pick up the bobbin thread and then tuck the top (needle) thread down through the tiny opening in the presser foot to get it underneath? Or do I just pull it to the side? It was difficult to feed it through the hole in the bottom of the foot, so it ultimately looked right, but felt wrong.

Curved piecing: Do I use the darning foot with the feed dogs lowered to do this? I haven't tried it yet, but want to do it soon.

I'm sorry if I seem hopelessly inexperienced in asking these questions. This is my first machine and I'm trying to teach myself, but there are definitely a few things that have me stumped!

Thanks for reading this far!

Comments (6)