SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ruthie51_gw

Terribly worried about backsplash removal process

ruthie51
11 years ago

We had a 6x6 honed marble backsplash installed in our new home 4 years ago. There were a lot of problems with the installer, not to mention the fact that I was never very happy with the tile color. The store (which has since closed) would not allow us to bring the sample board home or let us order tile samples, so we made the decision based on how beautiful the tile looked in the store. Wrong decision, but we were willing to live with it. Problem is, the installer was awful, made a lot of mistakes, one of which was sealing the tile while it was dirty with grout so in certain light you could see smudges all over the surface. We actually didn't notice it for a while because you can't see it when the cabinet lights are on, only when sunlight or other lighting hits it and then it looks just awful. We hired a "stone expert" to fix it, and he used a razor to scrape off the grout and while he did get some of the grout off, he also scratched the tile badly. We finally decided that it was a disaster from day one and recently hired a contractor to remove the backsplash and reinstall another one (he installed two of our neighbors' backsplashes and did a great job). We've selected a honed ivory travertine from a store that allowed us to bring home samples and we're ready to go. The problem is, I'm a nervous wreck about the backsplash removal. Can you give me some pointers to be aware of during the process to assure that our cabinets, wood floors and granite countertops won't be damaged? The contractor said he would cover everything, but I'm still nervous. Thank you!

Comments (10)