SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nanhsot

Algae in salt water pool, need advice

nanhsot
16 years ago

Our pool has been functional since last August (though we are STILL working on things around it, the never ending project!). Water looks clear and beautiful, generator works great, we add acid regularly as we live in a hard water area. All in all we're pleased with our salt water pool, however we have an ongoing problem with algae setting up in the cracks of our grout.

The sunshelf and underwater seating areas are all constructed of native rock, I'll include a photo below as an example, photo is a year old so things look much different now, but it will give an idea of surface. The posts sticking up are now part of a shade structure, so ignore that.

Over the winter we had an issue with algae in the negative edge basin, is it possible there is still some in there that is getting into the pool? We treated it with algaecide and it seemed to clear up, but now I'm noticing algae creeping back into the grout area around the stones on the sundeck. I have been scrubbing regularly.

We are in Texas, and as those of you here know, it's been a RAINY spring/summer, could that be contributing, and if so, what can be done to prevent?

Any thoughts on why this is happening and how to completely prevent?

Here is a link that might be useful: sundeck

Comments (10)