SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
candace70

Solar fish vs. solar cover - inground in MA

candace70
14 years ago

We talked to 2 different companies for our inground install. They have different philosophies and we are trying to weed through. (for the record, this process is proving taxing on my husband and I!)

One says that the solar fish are very good (albeit not as good as a solar cover) to retain pool heat. Upside in my mind is our ability to get a more asymmetrical shape if we use the fish, because we wouldn't worry about solar covering it (dragging it, etc). Downside is that they are not as efficient and it is more chemicals added.

The other guy said solar cover is the way to go, period. This would mean that we would end up choosing a more traditional rectangle shaped pool so we would be able to cover it easily.

I'd rather an asymmetrical shape, if possible, but don't want to get a pool that is difficult to solar cover, but in terms of aesthetics, I really don't want a rectangle pool.

So, any experience? We live in MA. It hasn't broken 70 degrees here in over a month (unusual, but it happens), so heating is a major concern.

By the way, prices don't seem to be economy related, no major "deals", from what I have gathered.

Comments (3)