SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
homebodymom

Can I sew my own curtains? Help!!!

homebodymom
14 years ago

Hi,

I have decided on the fabric for my curtains for my sliding glass door. I am going with the Jacobeon print in the pic below. We have removed the cornice board and I want to have panels of the print fabric on each side of the door and will probably use sheers in the center to replace the horrible verticals. The panels will have to be functional since I am continually opening and closing the door on the left side to let my dogs in and out. I am thinking about hanging a rod close to the ceiling with the wooden rings attached to the fabric.....those would be pinch pleat curtains, right? I am a total novice at sewing, but my Mom brought me her sewing machine when she came to visit last week.

How difficult are pinch pleat curtains to sew? Is there another type of curtain style that works on the rods with the wooden rings? Any websites anyone can recommend that would be helpful with instructions and/or tips for the beginner?

Because my ceilings are 9ft high and my sliders are 96"wide, I do need a significant amount of fabric, and the fabric I want to use is going to stretch my budget a bit. I was thinking if I could sew them myself, I could save some money. If I chicken out on doing them myself, any ideas of what I can expect to pay to have them sewn (unlined) by someone else? The ceiling height is 9ft and I would want at least 2yrds of fabric for each panel-

Thanks- sorry the pic is so big- I can't always get it to show up smaller :(

Comments (25)