SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rather_be_knitting

Absolute Black granite: absolutely befuddling me

rather_be_knitting
14 years ago

Initially I was going to go with a quartz surface (cambria) but we recently changed our kitchen design and now that we are going to add a few more cabinets I'm thinking I like granite more and more price-wise anyway. So far my favorites are absolute black and galaxy black (I like the shiny bits). My husband and I went out to granite showroom this weekend and we were blown away. There was one granite that looked like a globe (blue, green, brown)--so beautiful and apparently expensive as its grade was not even listed. They happened to have a slab of AB that had been honed. My dh touched it and when we came back 30 minutes later his fingerprints were still visible. Neither one of us is the type of person who mops up the counter everytime we pick up a cup--so I'm thinking honed is probably out of the question, right? I thought the leathered was neat too but think a lot of stuff might end up getting stuck in those crevices. So we decided AB was probably the right direction for us. Here's what's befuddling me: despite what I have read on this forum about sealing AB being superfluous and potentially harmful, two separate granite providers told me that they seal their AB--one of whom is a member of the Marble Institute of America. Help! I am so confused.

Oh, one more thing is it better to use a source that makes its own templates or one who digitalizes the process? Also, what about places that make the curves manually (using a rotor I guess?) versus those use a computer to automatically make the cuts. Sorry so many questions--I just don't want to take anything for granite. (ha, ha)

Jen

Comments (9)