SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2littlefishies

Defining Space.. A place for DOORS in my plan?

2LittleFishies
12 years ago

Over 6 months of thinking about this renovation, one thing I keep going back to is that as nice as it is to have a big open space it is also equally as nice to be able to define different rooms and be able to delineate space and close it off as well!

One of the recent threads got me thinking about this again. In our plan the kitchen and DR will be one large room where lots will take place (cooking, eating, homework, phone conversations) and the LR is where we "hang out" and watch TV. In our last house (which was twice the size as our Cape) we had a very open floor plan which was great EXCEPT for when I was trying to have a phone conversation while DH was watching his show and he would say, "Can you lower your voice? or Could you go in another room?" lol Same goes for washing dishes, etc...

Anyway, do you think there's a way in this plan to put a pocket door or some french doors that would separate the LR WHEN NEEDED? The 2' wall on the right is most likely getting REMOVED from the plan unless we find a good reason for it. The DR wall all the way to the right will have a 8' banquette with awning windows above. There will be 4' cabinetry on either side I think. The cabinetry on the right will have a beverage fridge below. The DR wall is 16' from the top wall to that 2' wall shown.

We were thinking about moving those basement stairs to the left to line up under our other stairs but not sure yet.

Presently there is a dropped support beam along the ceiling (dotted line) that goes from the stairs to that little black square above the fireplace. (which is 3' below where that 2' wall is drawn in).

Shown here:

**What do you think about putting doors somewhere between LR and DR? Worth it? Ideas?

Comments (25)