SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johnatemp

Chandelier height??

johnatemp
16 years ago

Hello:)

I have just gotten this chandelier from an estate sale. I would like to put it in this room.

The chain and cord are very short.

What is the correct length - the room has 10ft. ceilings.

Also, please ignore my pitiful excuse for accessorizing the buffet - I suck at it!! Anybody have any inspiration or suggestions?

PS. I was planning on putting a fern or something in the planter.

I am planning on taking it to the lamp shop - the white candle thingies are burnt. Would like someone to look at it b/4 I hang it b/cuz it is old.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

I am sure yall are SICK of this room. I get motivated and then quit= never anything accomplished. (story of my life)

Smiles:)

Comments (17)

• mimi_2006
    16 years ago

Hi Johnatemp :-) Great find! All mine are over tables and hang about 36" to 40" above the table. But if there's no table you'd hit your head so in a 10' ceiling room I'd think they couldn't hang more than about 3 1/2 down or somebody will get hurt! I'm so helpful huh? Show us a pic when you get it up there.

• utopiankitchens
    16 years ago

First off, beautiful chandy!

Secondly, although I have not tried this advice, here is what they just said this morning on Martha Stewart's show:

7 feet from the floor for a living room type space, and 3 feet above the dining room table for a dining room.

They did not specify ceiling heights, so maybe there is more to this guideline???

Good luck!

Beautiful room :)

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Johnatemp you are way too hard on yourself! Your room is beautiful. Further, I have long coveted your pillows on the couch. Where did you get them?

Great find on the chandy. I'm glad you're going to have a licensed electrical person look at it if there are burns on it. Burning your house down is generally considered a BAD decorating move, even if you are real tired of your rooms. The place you take it should also be able to add more cord and more chain.

THIS is an article about hanging a chandy over a DR table.

If you're just hanging it in the middle of the room and not over a table, then hang it where it looks pretty and just be sure to hang it high enough that your tall friends don't konk their heads on it. Blood is another bad decorating touch. ;)

I think this is going to look pretty!

• Kathleen McGuire
    16 years ago

7 feet from the floor is correct unless you or you dh are 7' tall! Even for a 6' person, it gives 1' clearance. That's what I did in my foyer when hanging a chandy there. I have never had any problems and it feels about right.

• johnatemp
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Okay, then 7ft it is. I am almost 6'-big ole amazon girl:)

Oceanna - too funny - blood and fire=bad decorating!!
    The pillows I ordered from eBay. I was pleased with this seller - shipped very quickly. They are still a little pricey on eBay but I have seen them in stores for over $250!! Ughhh
    Saw this one and thought of you!

Anybody have any ideas for the sideboard? I am at a total loss.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pillow on eBay

• Kathleen McGuire
    16 years ago

Johnatemp, Thankyou for the link. I have long admired those pillows also and have seen some gorgeous ones in stores, but, at outrageous prices! These prices seem almost reasonable. Thanks, I'm off to browse!

• jjam
    16 years ago

Johnatemp,

Gorgeous chandelier! 7 ft from the floor sounds right although I'm not an authority. I love your pillows, too. I'm not the best at the accessorizing either, but right away I'd say good effort on the plates but they look too small/washed out above the painting. It looks like the painting is too big for the plates. In general I'd like to see something that hangs vertically above your buffet. No need to rush it, though, your room looks great as is; so take your time and the right piece will find its way there. Your sofa and pillows are to die for!!

• jjam
    16 years ago

It's me again; just looked at your photo and I do think your current artwork could be fine; it looks very pretty. I would raise the height of the painting a little bit. Then I would work on broadening the base (buffet) by pulling a couple of accent chairs from somewhere (DR?) and using them to flank the corners. The idea is to roughly create a pyramid shape, with the painting being the top and the base gradually getting wider. Then add some softness at the corners of the painting with some rounder shapes, maybe some crystal accents. I offered the "pyramid" analogy because if you have a general shape in mind for the whole wall it really helps. Hang in there, you're almost done. Your chandelier is great!!

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Johna, thanks so much for the link on the pillows! :)

For your buffet accessorizing, I recommend that you go take a look at the Entries and Halls thread in our Gallery. I specificially remember putting a lot of pictures of decorated entry tables in there. You might also find something helpful in the dining room thread. When I wanted to know what to put on my coffee table, I looked at every coffee table in the living room thread there and got my answers. :)

• johnatemp
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oceanna, I will go to the gallery and look. You are amazing for adding all these wonderful pictures. THANK YOU VERY MUCH:)

Jjam - I DID have a vertical pic there when I hung the plates!! I found that painting at the same estate sale and really liked it, thou.
    This is an older pic but here is kinda an overall shot. The old pic is still there. I moved it to the wall across from the buffet - but it is kinda hidden & it is very special to me. 2 chairs across from the settee - in front of window with drapes.

{{!gwi}}
    2 chairs & drapes
    {{!gwi}}

Any advice?

• jjam
    16 years ago

Hi johnatemp,

Gosh, your room is lovely. You are way too hard on yourself! I love so many parts of it. Your chest with the two chairs flanking it is just gorgeous, with those incredible drapes. That chest is fab as well. Now that I see you have this arrangement on an opposite wall, I wouldn't duplicate it on your buffet wall. I also love your painting above the buffet; just thought it echoed the shape of the mirror over the couch, and I do think that artwork should be hung in a variety of shapes and heights when possible. If the painting doesn't stay in the LR, your bedroom would be a great place. I do love your pillows, as have so many of us. Thanks for the tip about ebay; I may buy myself a mother's day present!

• jjam
    16 years ago

I just looked at your room again and wonder if you have tried an area rug in front of your couch. If you do that and add a coffee table; (glass with antique brass trim would look great) I think it would really pull your room together. You would have a seating area that would give your space some purpose, and the coffee table top would be a great spot to add a touch of greenery. Just a thought...

• johnatemp
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am sorry it has taken me so long.....

Jjam, thank so much for the suggestions.
    I do want a rug & coffee table. Coffee table is one of those things I think I'll run up on at antique shops.

Rug, I have thought about seagrass but there is also one at Ballards that I like.

Do you or anybody else have a preference for pic above the buffet? The horizontal landscape or the vertical one of my child?

See a seagrass rug in there?

• norasnews
    16 years ago

I am no designer.. but you did say 'anybody'..

I much prefer the portrait of your child in the space. The darkness is richer, and the shape works so nicely with the buffet lanps. While the other landscape is beautiful, I think the portrait works better above the buffet.

Your rooms are lovely

• polkadots
    16 years ago

Hi Johna!
    I like the portrait of your child in the space as well. I like that it is more vertical and that mixes things up a bit in the room (with the mirror being more horizontal). The plates and the lamps frame the picture well.
    Have fun!

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

johnatemp
    Love the chandelier! Great find! It will be perfect in that room. You have wonderful taste, the room is beautiful!!
    Ree
    sorry, can't help with height :(

• johnatemp
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, Mothers Day is coming up....Did anybody order any pillows??

Nora, of course "anybody" - I am certainly not a designer!! This forum is so great b/c it is so much easier to see thru the - fog- of someone elses room!!

Hey Polka:) Thanks for your opinion.
    I think I will change it back - plus I do love the portrait of my little one - reminds me of those sweet innocent times - now that he is 8 - they are disappearing quickly:(

Good to see ya Ree Ree:)

What about some dried hydrangeas in like a footbath/tureen type bowl under his picture?
    Then I need to work on the table between the 2 chairs??!!

Thanks for any and all advice - this is my most frustrating part!!