SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
petalpatsy

*Hand quilting SAFTEY tip *

petalpatsy
15 years ago

Maybe this is the worst newbie mistake....needle found in a gifted baby quilt.

I only really became aware of this possibility looking at the Linus project guidlines, getting ready to keep my quilting skills up on a cheater cloth quilt for charity.

Doing my first quilt, one of my book authors pointed out that she sometimes had as many as FIFTY threaded needles in a full size quilt at once. I also had ten or fifteen in at once, waiting for me to move the quilt on the frame in finish out a line.

I thought, OMG, those Linus people have it right. How many times did I find a free thread with the needle gone? Finished and washed, I looked and felt for needles. I called it done and left the quilt with my mom. My MOM! The QUILT POLICE!!! She was sooooo satisfyingly impressed with my almost perfect points, my design and color choices suited her to a T, she was just breathless with pride in me, she absolutely giggled.

I discussed the needle issue with her. I told her I hadn't kept up with the number of needles put in to do a count at the end. But, I'd looked, I'd felt, I'd washed, I'd slept with it for a week. I'd washed.

Her and her new cataract free eyes. She can't stop talking about having the best vision now in her life at 75. I delivered the quilt to her house just yesterday. I checked my messages today. She was looking at the quilt in the bay window, and...wait for it....

found a needle.

I've not heard her so pleased with herself in....75 years. Worse still, she had my brother for a witness. He tried to get her to say she found three needles. Brothers are always brother even at 47. I called her back and said "Well, don't be dying anytime soon, I still need you!" We had the best laugh (we just had the memorial service for my brother in law day before yesterday. A laugh was sorely needed.)

Anyway, I'm an anesthesiologist and she's a retired OR scrub nurse. We kicked ourselves for how obvious this tip should be, but I've never read it anywhere.

***Just like an OR case, when the case starts with an instrument count, and believe you me, a needle count is kept, start a quilt with new packs of needles and an empty, deicated pin cushion. You start with fifty needles. At the end, you have that pin cushion and it better have fifty needles in it.***

There's no X-ray tech to call for the infamous and head hanging shame of "incorrect count." Although...I do have certain...connections.....hmmmmm. LOL! Boy, that'd be a new one on the crew!

Comments (10)