SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
g2morrow

Buying IPE online

g2morrow
17 years ago

Hey everyone. I'm new to the site but have read a TON of posts and learned a lot. Wish I had run into this forum before starting my project but better late then never.

I'm doing a covered deck with a little portion uncovered. Some would call it a porch but i'm not having any screen put in and i'm using typical deck railing so call it what you want. In any case the flooring is IPE. I had wrestled around the ideas of PT and FAKE and IPE. Decided on the IPE for looks and longevity. I had PT before and it sucked after a few years and I've heard too many horror stories about the FAKE (plus I don't like walking on plastic)

Checking out IPE prices locally it was shockingly expensive. The highest I saw was 3.94 linear foot,IIRC. So off to the internet I went. I ended up buying from ipedepot.com. I was a little leery at first wondering what would happen if I had any problems. Well, you guessed it, I had problems. Around 20-25% of the delivery was unacceptable. After calling and sending pictures they agreed to replace the wood. So, alls well that ends well. I have to give ipedepot the big thumbs up for customer service. I can highly recommend them. Two guys, Jon and Chris were great to work with.

Currently my deck is framed out and IPE is being put down. I'm using the deckmaster hidden fastener system. yeah, yeah, i know, but it was already started before I found this site. If i had discovered this place 2 weeks prior I would have screwed and plugged. But if looks level and secure. Let's hope it stays that way. And if it doesn't I can always screw and plug it later. BTW, is a 1/8 gap wide enough for 5/4 X 6 IPE?

I'm new to this forum and do have a ton of questions. Should I keep all my questions in one thread? or start a new one with each different topic? (finishing, painting, railings, experiences,pictures, ect....)

thanks

- Geoff

Comments (5)