SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bestyears_gw

LOL -I just ironed my sheets!!!

16 years ago

...for the first time since I was a teenager, let's just say more than a quarter-century ago! If my husband dies of shock tonight, it's GW's fault! If I oversleep and my kids are late to school it's GW's fault too!!!

Next time somebody should post... "Do You Clean Out Your Garage?" or something really useful!!!!!

Lynn

Comments (17)

• 16 years ago

Or even better "Do You Need A Vacation??"

LOL, I'm impressed, I don't think I could ever be guilted into ironing my sheets!

• 16 years ago

Get Out!

• 16 years ago

Dear Bestyears, I am so tempted to contact the moderators and report that one of our members has lost her mind...

• 16 years ago

I'm curious to know if you slept any better??????

I grew up with a mom that still irons everything that comes out of the dryer (except her sheets). Her mom who does iron and starch her pillowcases gives her a hard time for ironing her jeans. I personally only iron if I have to! I do remember liking the crispness of those pillowcases at my grandmothers.

• 16 years ago

Well I didn't oversleep! My husband didn't even notice...zzzz..... Honestly, I can't say it was quite worth the effort. But it was a chilly night and I had long-sleeved and long-legged pj's on, so that by itself kind of minimized the effect. Somehow it didn't quite have the impact I remember from childhood, growing up with a mother who ironed absolutely everything. She was so addicted to hanging clothes outside that she did so even in the winter (this was in NH!). We used to bring the towels in and stand them up against the wall, then fold and crease them much like cardboard. I think she invented the loofah! The sheets were definately crisp!

I had brand new sheets on the bed last night, but I am still in search of 'crisp' sheets... Anyone? I'm so reluctant to shell out the big bucks for Sferra for fear they will be lovely, but not crisp.

Lynn

• 16 years ago

I am glad my post inspired you to iron your sheets! It might be contagious now! Will this be a weekly chore? Oh My! I do not know anything about Sferra sheets, are they wonderful?

• 16 years ago

Hi gracie-2006,
    Yes, 'inspired' is the right word. Mimi-2006 mentioned guilt but that wasn't it at all. It was more than suddenly ironed sheets sounded sooooo enticing! Unfortunately this keeps happening to me with GW. The list of things I just have to try or have keeps growing the longer I hang out here! I did iron next week's set, and a set for my daughter, since I had the ironing board out. We'll see after that.... I know if I could truly find 'crisp' sheets, I would probably iron them now that I've been inspired. But to me, the affect is not quite as great with the softer, silky feeling sheets.
    Lynn

Lynn

• 16 years ago

OK...I read the other post and didn't chime in. But now I have to fess up.

I always iron... and starch with lavender scented spray starch...my sheets. I had a place that did it for me for a reasonable price...then we moved. Here, I can't find any place to do it for less than $15 PER PIECE!!! Now I'm used to ironed sheets...310 Charisma...so smooth, so I can't go back. Ironing king size sheets is a b***h, but I "Do It Anyway".

Now here is my "dirty" little secret....I don't change them every week. We had a severe water shortage for a while and I decided if I change the pillow cases every week I could "cheat" on the sheets...and the pillow cases are a snap! It's not like we dig ditches for a living! We just aren't that dirty when we go to bed...unless we want to be!

• 16 years ago

Bestyears Lynn: Knock. It. Off.

You'll make the rest of us look bad. :o

• 16 years ago

Well Lynn, at least GW inspired something that did not cost you money. Most of the things I learn here will eventually involve me forking over Dh's money.

For crisp sheets, you could try e-bay for muslin. They don't make sheets with it anymore but I find after several launderings it is wonderful and would certainly be crisper when ironed.

• 16 years ago

Oceanna, not to worry... if I were really brave I could send you pictures of the many zillions of things around here that actually *need* doing! Tishtoshnm, did I mention I first went out and bought new sheets and THEN washed and ironed them. EVERYTHING from GW costs me money!!!!
    Lynn

• 16 years ago

What in the h@#$% are you all talking about here? Is it sheets, or someone's recent experience with freshly washed and ironed sheets?
    I always iron at least the top third or so of our top sheets and always iron the pillow cases, Never purchase anything other than 100% cotton, 300 TC is great and anything over that is probably not economical or beneficial. My luxury is in the sheets/bedding even if I have to purchase, wash and iron myself. Well worth the effort and expense. Is that what we're talking about?

• 16 years ago

annie1971, here's the link to the post that started it all.....

Here is a link that might be useful: Do You Iron Your Sheets?

• 16 years ago

Last night I did more laundry....havent done it in 4 days so it was piling up..but I have an excuse, I am helping my son's elementary school organize the volunteers for our festival this Friday night. I opened the dryer to put the wet clothes in and found Saturday' laundry (dry) still in the dryer. They were my sheets. Oh, my, they are so wrinkled. I thought of the prior post about ironing sheets. I tried to nicely fold them, tried to smooth the wrinkles with every fold, but they are truly wrinkled......then I saw this post this morning. The next time I use those sheets I am going to have to laugh about these posts...there is no way I am ironing them. I do remember 35 years ago, coming home from school and my mom was ironing sheets. Where did she find the time?????

• 16 years ago

Lynn, WHEW! I'm sure glad to hear you're not perfect. Face it; nobody really likes perfect people. lol!

• 16 years ago

This whole thread and the one that started it (thanks, bestyears) just makes me laugh. I have to tell you though that my iron burst into flames today. It scared the bejeebers out of me, but I'm a PROUD woman! It burned up do'in its job! I'm an ironing, painting and sewing fool and proud of it.
    Annie

• 16 years ago

Okay, I just got done ironing my sheets. I am really looking forward to going to bed tonight in nice smooth sheets!