SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
curlygurly

antique brown granite or dark emperador marble?

curlygurly
15 years ago

i've narrowed it down to two choices, antique brown granite or dark emperador marble. i read that this particular marble is actually a dolostone....not sure what that means but supposedly it doesn't etch quite as easy. I have eggshell cabs with a brown glaze and gold ochre island with a brown glaze going in. i have 92 sf of countertop in my kitchen including the island.....i was leaning toward the granite til i got a quote of 8653. installed with just a roundover edge on it. That works out to about $94 a sf....whereas the dark emperador is just 59 a sf. i put lemon juice over half the marble sample and it dulls it...i guess that's the etching not sure....although i tried it on the granite too and also see a faint outline of where the lemon juice was. The marble scratches but because of the highly patterned surface i don't think it's terribly noticeable. The granite doesn't seem to scratch. Any thoughts, opinions, feedback? I know people put the white cararra marble in their kitchens all the time. HELP please :) Also does the price on the granite seem right or high to you? Not sure if it's considered an "exotic"

Follow-Up Postings:

o

Comments (4)