SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mark_g_gw

Ipe Finishing--State of the Art?

mark_g
15 years ago

We are getting ready to build a three porches and three decks at our new home, and have been reading past posts on the highs and lows of Ipe decking material.

It seems that installation has standardized to get consistent results with the material, but so far, all I've read about finishing resembles black alchemy.

I totally understand that horizontal surfaces will need more maintenance--but I wonder what's the best program to follow in a northern clime. What is the best product to put a deep color down (or in), seal or help the wood shed water and prevent checking. Even if semi-annual maintenance is required, all the multi-step cleaners and brighteners should not -- I do not want to get involved with a product that needs to be stripped and redone to maintain a decent appearance, and this is the one issue that's keeping me from committing to this material.

Which finishing product(s) work(s) best for porch, for deck? We want a deep red-brown color. Material can be opaque, semi-opaque, or be absorbed into the wood.

Thanks for the latest "real world" information from the greatest community, Mark

Comments (4)