SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
garyduse

Ipe Posts & Railings

garyduse
16 years ago

I've got the ipe decking down and now I need to add about 80 feet of railing.

I'm planning on using 2x4 top and bottom rails, copper pipe balusters, and a 2x6 top cap (no post covers, similar to the pics posted by stu_r: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/porch/msg091000232084.html)

Posts will be side-mounted as shown in stu's pics.

Here are my questions:

1) What size (1/2", 3/4", or 1") copper pipe/tube is recommended?

2) Is there any reason, other than appearance, that I couldn't use 2x4, instead of 4x4 posts? I see no structural need, since ipe is many times stronger than PT lumber commonly used for posts and, in any case, a notched 4x4 is, at its weak point (the notch), no stronger than an un-notched 2x4. Or am I missing something?

Alternately, if I wanted a heavier "look", how about gluing/screwing two 2x4s together for the post (one shorted than the other to effectively create the notch)?

It's not a question of cost, it's just the thought of sawing notches in 14 ipe posts that gives me heartburn.

NOWHERE have I seen anything but 4x4s (or occasionally 4x6s) used for posts. Is it just a code thing?

Yes, I've seen the approach of wrapping PT 4x4s with ipe but that sounds pretty labor-intensive also.

All comments, recommendations, testimonials, even criticism for my laziness will be appreciated.

-Gary

Comments (5)