SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scotte_gw

Ipe deck white railing options?

scotte
17 years ago

I'm planning on having a 15 x 12 foot elevated deck built off of our kitchen. The deck will have stairs leading down to our back patio. Thanks to reading a wealth of information on this site I have chosen Ipe wood for the deck planks and will probably use TWP 516 to stain. From what I gather the 116 isn't available in NJ. My wife (the boss when it comes to aesthetics) wants a white railing to match our house trim. The deck will be under some tree cover and gets mostly shade. I'm concerened about maitenance involved in painting real wood and my wife feels that using aluminum ballusters is to modern a look for our old house. Vynil just looks to plasticy to me so the only other option I can think of is composite. I understand that staining and mold can be a problem with composites and the shade and tree cover of my location have me questioning what to do. Has anyone tried Weatherbest white railing? From my research I understand that they add zinc borate to the product to minimize mold. Not sure if this actually works and staining could still be a problem. I realize that there is no such thing as a maintenance free deck so am I better off just painting real wood?

Comments (4)