SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chrisexv6

TimberTech Builder Board....

chrisexv6
16 years ago

Another thread got me thinking.....here is (was?) my plan for railings:

Take TimberTech Builder Board and use as a top and bottom rail, as well as a cap (Ive always thought 2x6 was too wide of a cap). My original plan was to "stand up" the Builder Board for the top and bottom rails (i.e. the balusters would screw into the narrow part of the 2x4 that is the Builder Board), then dado out the handrail "cap" and "lay it down" over the top rail. So you would have the top and bottom rail standing up with the cap laid across the top so the wider portion comes into contact with the top rail.

My question - is this going to be sturdy? Ive read its not structural material. Ive checked TimberTechs website and noticed that they used the same idea I had, but the top and bottom rails are laid with the wide dimension facing up. That would prevent it from "racking" (i.e. if you pushed outward on the bottom rail it wouldnt budge), so Im not sure my plan would work as nice. I can alter my plan and do it the way they did in their pics, I would just need to get longer balusters (26" baluster for a 36" railing depends on a 2x4 being stood up for the top and bottom rail). And of course Id have to use a 2x6 for the handrail cap.

As always, clear as mud I say! If anyone figured out what Im saying, Id appreciate any advice :)

Thanks.

-Chris

Comment (1)