SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stparrot

Ipe vs PT for 1x6 Victorian Front porch

stparrot
16 years ago

I am replacing the deck on the wrap around porch on a 100 plus year old Victorian house in Georgia that has 11 foot wide decking with about 125 feet wrapping around the front and sides of my house. With this area of decking, I wanted to go with 1x6 t&g wood flooring and local suppliers say 1x6 t&g will cup and they will not give any warranty. One suggested sawing grooves on each side of the bottom 1/4 inch deep, priming and painting the sides and top (leave the bottom open to breathe). One book recommended caulking the t&g upon installation with silicone caulking to fill the gap and eliminate wanter getting to the t&g joint. The porch is covered and the concrete skirt has ventilation openings with automatic controllers. The other option for PT is using 1x4 which the suppliers will warranty against cupping. My third option is Ipe which costs more, but should last longer. I've been told I can't paint Ipe, but I've also been told I could use a Marine grade paint. The cost of the 1x6 t&g PT is about $4500, the 1x4 t&g PT is about $6,800 and the 1x6 t&g Ipe is about $13,300.

This is a substantial investment in an already expensive project and I want to get it right the first time. What do the experts advise? This is the house: http://stparrot.tripod.com/FrontAngleView.jpg

Comment (1)