SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
angelom_gw

Railing Advice /Cedar Paint Questions

angelom
16 years ago

1) The contractor we think we're going with plans to use cedar to replace the house aluminum siding inside the new screened porch (where the porch joins the house, we want something that looks more like interior than exterior finish, so he plans cedar. Question is, does it take paint well? If we decide we'd like it to be white instead of stained, can it just be painted with quality primer and white paint and will this hold up well?

2) Exterior deck railing system: We like the uniform look of some of the composite railing systems. My complaints are that some look too "plasticky" and I've also heard that sometimes they are not solid/stable. The contractor says he can provide his standard built railing cheaper and he's confident it will feel better and look better. Issue is that there will be future maintenance (staining or painting) on the ballusters. The handrail will be composite. Any advice/feedback/suggestions on what to go with? Price is a concern for sure. This guy seems very competent---if he's as good as I think, will the railing he puts together outperform premade composite?

Comments (2)