SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sherwoodva

Height of risers - upset with contractor

sherwoodva
12 years ago

Our house was built in 1938 and the porch needed a major renovation to replace some floorboards, etc. It also had ugly brick steps added by the previous owner and the bricks were falling off.

The contractor worked on what we wanted and presented drawings. He consulted with us at every step and gave us options on materials, explaining the benefits/downsides of each. The porch and new stairs look lovely. Of course, there is always a "but."

The risers are 6 1/2" high because he said that would make it easier for me. He never told us that the result would mean the bottom step was above grade. So to compensate, the new side walk is above grade. He said he will "fill in" around the side walk. The side walk was not in the detailed plan that he drew for us.

It is a cement sidewalk (for safety reasons) that stops right at the porch stairs, so it has a right angle in the outside right corner, and then curves downward to the left to meet the driveway. He was going to make it straight, and we said no, we want a curve. We didn't get as much of a curve as we wanted, but it's not bad. The part we hate is that it is above grade at the porch end (it is even where it meets the driveway).

He is supposed to to the back porch next, but I am ready to ask that he wait six months until I cool off. We are really upset that (1) he didn't tell us the stairs would end above grade and (2) that we have to deal with a sidewalk where the outside corner by the steps is above grade. DH has visions of people falling off, so we will have to figure out how to landscape it.

So, my question is - what would you do? Is this a big deal or not? My steps inside the house are 8" high and I have no trouble with them, so I don't understand why he didn't give us options. Sigh.

Comments (7)