SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

Old Quilt - HELP!

K8Orlando
13 years ago

DH's family does group emails to keep in touch and this is the message we received this morning from a cousin in Kentucky:

"Hey cousins! This is a quilt top Grandma gave my mom years and years ago before she passed. It has been sitting in a trunk MANY years... I don't have the skill to finish it. Kate??? Could you or would you take this on.... needs a little restoration as well."

Of course I said I would be honored! Then I cried a little thinking of the work she put into this without being able to finish it, then cried a little because this beautiful treasure was brought to light, then cried a little in terror thinking of taking on this project! Pretty emotional, right?

Now I'm excited but also in a total panic wondering how I'm going to go about this. It looks like a huge quilt, but I can't tell from the picture how much work it needs; I don't even know if the fabric is in good shape or if it's brittled with age, heat, neglect, etc. I'll take more pictures when I get it and share them with you but does anyone have any advice about restoring old quilts?

Kate

Comments (8)