SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kurtww_gw

Ipe vs. Cumaru

kurtww
15 years ago

I am about to pull the trigger on ordering 1500 lf of 4/4 deck boards, and I am having trouble making the call on ipe vs. cumaru. I like the look of both, but I'd save about $900 using cumaru. It seems like a good idea, but in the grand scheme of things, that's only about 10% of the total cost (I'm supplying the labor). Ipe seems like the go-to choice for high-end decks, but all I've heard about cumaru comes from the wood suppliers. Hardness, density, etc. seem quite comparable, with ipe obviously being a little better.

According to ironwoods.com, the cumaru is "medium-low" in the movement category, vs. ipe at "low". That seems to be the biggest difference. I am looking at kiln dried cumaru, vs. air dried ipe. This will be installed in Denver, with very low humidity. Does anyone have any experience in that climate with either?

I will be using Headcote SS screws through the face, no hidden fasteners. I haven't settled on the finish, though I'm leaning towards TWP 116 based on the posts I've read here.

Thanks,

Kurt

Comments (10)