SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mikeb_ny

roof under Ipe deck

mikeb_ny
17 years ago

I'm getting ready to build my deck, 8' above ground, 16' wide (along house) by 14' deep. I have pretty much settled on 1x6 Ipe for the decking. Deck will be partially shaded. I would like to waterproof under the deck for a protected patio. I don't really have the height to do a torch-down roof plus stringers plus decking. I was thinking of doing something similar to "DekDrain", using EPDM draped over the joists and decking on top of that. The troughs would end at my beam, 12' out from house. 2x10 joists, troughs would drape down about 1-2" at the ledger, down to 5-6" at the beam. Will I get sufficient ventilation this way? Should I switch to 1x4 decking for additional ventilation and cupping resistance? Deck is on east side of house.

DekDrain puts a strip of aluminum between the rubber and the decking, probably needed so the oils in the wood and or sealer don't damage the rubber (DekDrain warns about this), I would do something similar.

When I asked the guys at IpeDepot about the cupping issue they recommended sealing all 4 sides of the deck boards, but I've read here that's a bad idea, basically each board can become a bathtub for water.

BTW, cost of DekDrain for 12x16 is about $750, I've found 45 mil EPDM from pond supply stores for about $150.

RainEscape sells a similar system but uses 20 mil plastic, also about $750. Is plastic a better idea? More resistant to oils / grease?

I like the idea of having the material over the joists so no water is in contact with the framing, plus the framing moisture (when new) can't get to the decking.

Comments (5)