SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dont_poke_the_bear

Please Help da Grizzly.... New Kitchen

dont_poke_the_bear
15 years ago

Hi all -

I have been searching this forum for weeks now and there are just so many opinions. Frankly, while almost all are well thought out / experienced responses, they don't always agree... I guess thats what makes it fun!

Anyway, I am replacing the appliances in my home. I am an experienced cook with a family of 6. We do a lot of cooking at home.

After review of all the various options, I'm about settled on GE monogram gas cooktop, convection oven + advantium + warmer drawer, the built in fridge and finally an Miele washer.

Btw - I have access to GE supplier pricing which is a really nice discount.

I like the GE cooktop in that its all 18k burners. Not as hot as the Blue Star, but I like the fact that they are all the same so I dont need to worry about which burner is free. I always get nervous boiling water in the front with the kids in the house..

I won't say I'm nuetral on the oven combo, but I'm really more of a stove man than a baker. The over is noted to have a very hot broiler which I do think I will use in the cooler months. Otherwise, I'm a grill man.

I've been back and forth on the fridge. I have looked at Sub Zero and Samsung as well. Again, opinions are so varied I thought the built in GE would be fine (again - the discount).

Finally the washer - My wife saw the upper tray for silverware and the discussion was over. This is the once firm decision.

Now for the questions....

I'm still hung up on the open burners of the BS rangetop. Easy to clean, very hot, and I could custom order the burner configuration with the 22k burners in the back. Any thoughts on whether you really see the difference between 18k and 22k burners? I've also stared long and hard at the wolf. I'm hearing they may make the best oven as well. How would you all choose between Wolf, BS, and GE?

On the ovens, I figure I'll stay with the GE if I go that way with the rangetop. But if I go BS or Wolf, I'd likely go with the Wolf ovens. I also looked at Thermadore, but the service history of them seems pretty bad. Any experiences / opinions?

Finally, the fridge. If we go Wolf ovens, I'm likely to go with the SZ.

At the end of the day, the full GE monogram set (excluding the washer) is kinda where I have come down. However, before I drop 15k on a set of appliances, I would really appreciate a final view from you guys...

(PS - We're likely to sell this house in 3 to 5 yrs so resale appeal is another thing on my mind...)

Thanks in advance!!!!

Comment (1)