SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stukailua

Need help prepping my Ipe deck for refinish.

stukailua
17 years ago

I am dong my third refinishing job (in three years) and I need help prepping my Ipe deck.

To give everyone some background and share my experiences, I will quickly tell you about my two previous finish jobs. My first finish was Waterlox outdoorÂs Tung oil. The finish looked great, but did not hold up past 6 months in my climate (Hawaii). The Waterlox did not strip-off easily, so I ended up sanding the deck. It was a nightmare job.

My next finish was ATO and it also looked great, but only lasted 9-12 months. The ATO faded evenly and I removed it using WolmanÂs deck-brite (sodium pre-carbonate powder), WolmanÂs deck and fence brightener and a cheapo power washer. They cleaned the deck, but the woodÂs natural darker color did not return evenly. I tried a second treatment of Oxalic Acid (Cabots) and it did not seem to make a difference. I then went to my orbiter sander to do the really grey areas and it looks better, but uneven.

I now wonder if I should sand the entire deck (or try acetone or try another cleaner/brightener combo. I would try KenÂs restore-a-deck, but he does not ship to Hawaii. Any suggestions?

I am going to use TWP 116 for my finish. John Hyatt persistent testimonials convinced me. I hope going forward; I will not have to do any extensive prep work and only reapply TWP 116 once a year as John professes.

Also, my next project is refinishing both sides of my 100 + foot ipe fence. I am thinking I may just try power washing and TWP 116?

Comments (10)